PDA

View Full Version : Stepping up. Buying a used LLY Dmax/Alli

2tough2park
04-30-2006, 17:42
Anything I need to know? Yea. The ol' Ebay ride has to go. Sure, parts grow on trees for that thing, but unfortunately, the expensive parts are the ones failing right now. I won't get into details about my decisions, but I will say it turns out I can afford more than I thought. Used 2005's are booking in around $30k. Wow. That's well within my range. I'd rather have an LBZ, but can't afford it and I can't wait.
Anything I need to know? I'll be getting a crew cab, 4x4, Dmax, Allison, 3500. They seem plentiful. A lot I have found have at or around or even less than 50k miles. I prefer the LLY for the better turbo systems. I'm bent on betting an Allison trans. It'll be a crew cab because I like them and yes, I do carry enough people enough times to utilize it. It'll be 4x4 for winter weather. It'll be 3500 because that's what I hafta get for the diesel. A 2500hd I guess doesn't matter, but I guess it's a moot point. The only difference is the dually I reckon.
Anything I should look for or consider?

More Power
05-01-2006, 10:52
While less common, the single-rear-wheel 3500's were available for the 2005 model year.

Before buying a late model used Diesel, try it out long enough to get a handle on the fuel economy and general performance. Your GM dealer has access to the warranty repair history of any in-warranty truck using the GM Vehicle Inquiry System. Your dealer only needs to do a lookup on the truck's VIN, to verify whether or not the truck you're looking at has been a problem for its previous owner. The only time you have any real leverage with the dealership is before you sign the papers, so make this a condition of sale.

Good luck on the new truck!

Jim

DURA-MAX3
05-01-2006, 19:07
Mine is for sale, look at my options list. 19980 miles. excellent condition non smoker...Let me know...

2tough2park
05-02-2006, 15:00
Mine is for sale, look at my options list. 19980 miles. excellent condition non smoker...Let me know...

Does it come with the hauler and softtail??

DURA-MAX3
05-02-2006, 20:12
sorry can't do that....

2tough2park
05-04-2006, 16:30
Did you ever solve your fuel mileage problems? I won't be purchasing for another few months yet, but it will be this year. Care to send some pictures?

DURA-MAX3
05-04-2006, 17:20
Guess it did not have enough miles on it, it now gets 16-17 on the highway and seems to be gettin better. I can send some pics maybe this weekend...This truck is very nice, it gets looks everywhere I go...Send them where????Thanks...940-389-0540...

REDTRUCK05
06-01-2006, 21:20
The mpg SUCKS! The clutch fan engages WAY to often. I pull a 5600 lb camper and whenever the temp is over 80 the fan is on all the time. Its loud and its a big drag on the engine. They did a total change on the cooling system in 06, went with electric fans, changed the location of the tranny cooler also.