PDA

View Full Version : Pinging noise!

TerryG
05-01-2006, 12:06
First post! (many more to come umthinking "FIRST DIESEL")

I have a 06 GMC 2500/LBZ with 1500 miles and since day one under very light acceleration it makes a pinging noise, sounds just like a high compression motor on low octane gas. Is anyone else experiencing this problem or is this normal?

Also I have been using Power Service fuel additive with each fill-up!

Thanks Terry!

More Power
05-02-2006, 11:57
Welcome to the BB!

It's a whole new world for you, owning a diesel for the first time... The industry has done a marvelous job reducing the noise from diesel engines, but some will remain. I actually like to hear a little diesel rattle... ;)

It's been my experience that all diesel engines will produce sounds that appear a little odd at first - and every engine is an individual, even within the same production run. Differences in ambient temperature, fuel calibration, fuel cetane, your perception from day to day, and even slight engine mechanical differences can all produce slight differences in how a diesel engine sounds.

It can sometimes be difficult to distinguish between good and bad sounds, but more experience will help you. In the meantime, I'd not worry about what you're hearing. Generally, if you don't know whether a particular sound is "bad", it probably isn't. A mechanical or fuel system problem will usually accompany other indicators, like diagnostic trouble codes, poor performance, smoke, or more obvious metallic sounds.

Jim

Kennedy
05-02-2006, 18:04
A good quality additive with Cetane improver can help quiet down combustion. Not a fan of Power Service...

SoTxPollock
05-07-2006, 17:12
A good quality additive with Cetane improver can help quiet down combustion. Not a fan of Power Service...
05-02-2006 06:57 PM
JK, I've seen you say this before. Now I'v getting curious. Do you think its detrimental to the engine or is it that there is much better products available?
If anyone else had said this I probably wouldn't have paid attention, but You.........

Kennedy
05-08-2006, 07:25
IMHO, Power Service is "watered down" low grade additive that does very little in most cases. We've event seen tests report worsening fuel quality with some additives.