PDA

View Full Version : H2 rims on 2500 suburban

GSE2SCHMIDT
12-22-2005, 12:11
Time to get new tires. Ran across a fresh set of Takeoffs from a 2005 H2. The owner says they will bolt up to the 8 lug suburban, but not sure if the tires are too big 315/70/17, oh yeah I have a 95 diesel sub 2wd. Anybody try this

matt-max
12-22-2005, 13:33
tires are too big. you may be able to make them fit by maxing out your torsion bars and cutting the back edge of your front bumper and adding 1 or 2 inch block spacers in the back.

265's will fit great, we run them on our single wheel trucks. you may want to buy them for the rims and sell the tires to somebody else and get 265s or 285s to replace them.

matt

matt-max
12-22-2005, 13:44
ooohhhh. i see you have 2wd....can't see you making it work without a liftkit....

jspringator
12-24-2005, 18:08
Take offs on a new chrome GM 8 lug are pretty, and only cost $100 apiece. Keeps all stock setings and looks good!

TurboDiverArt
12-29-2005, 04:32
Anyone know the difference in weight vs. the stock steel rims? I sort of like the look of the stock steel rims. If there is significant weight savings over stock then you may see an increase in both performance and fuel economy (at least around town). I'm due for new tires in about 20K and have thought about getting a set of take offs for the truck. Can usually pick them up for less than $400 shipped on eBay.

Anyone know if someone is making a replacement non-"hummer" center cap?

If you put on the larger than stock tires, do you need to change something for the gearing change? I think it'll drop the effective gearing from 3:73 to about 3:42.

Art.

Bobbie Martin
12-29-2005, 05:46
Originally posted by TurboDiverArt:
Anyone know the difference in weight vs. the stock steel rims?
Anyone know if someone is making a replacement non-"hummer" center cap?I don't know the exact weight, but it is substantial. I installed a set of the factory 16" aluminum wheels on our Suburban a while back. I didn't weigh them, but the alloy wheels are noticeably lighter. I balance my own wheels and lifting the steel wheel vs. the alum wheel up to the balancer is much easier, especially compared to 10" Mini wheels!

I didn't notice any performance or MPG gains (same size tires) but the Sub always had an annoying vibration at 70 MPH or so. I balanced the wheels countless times, even changed from the original steel to a set of factory steel spoke wheels, replaced the wheel bearings, etc. with no change. But, with the alloy wheels, no more vibration! For that alone it was well worth it.

I looked at the Hummer wheels, but decided on the 16" in the end, but there is a way to install the normal 16" center caps on the Hummer wheels - I think it requires cutting down the back side of the center cap.

96ccdd
12-29-2005, 13:46
Sorry to say they will not work 315's are equal to a 35" tire. 285's & 305's = 33", 265's = 31"

jspringator
12-29-2005, 14:40
I read somewhere 20 lbs per wheel.

DA BIG ONE
12-30-2005, 02:20

If you put on the larger than stock tires, do you need to change something for the gearing change? I think it'll drop the effective gearing from 3:73 to about 3:42.

Art. Need to hack VSSB on your 99 the correct settings for 3.42:1 ratio.

TurboDiverArt
12-30-2005, 04:21
Originally posted by DA BIG ONE:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by TurboDiverArt:

Art. Need to hack VSSB on your 99 the correct settings for 3.42:1 ratio. </font>[/QUOTE]Is this just buying one for a 1500 6.5TD or getting an aftermarket one that has a selectable VSS?

I've debated getting taller tires for the Suburban and upping the ratio to 3.42. I drive highway about 80% of the time. Just got 19-MPH on a long highway drive and want that illusive 20+ MPG...

Would need to select the correct tires. I don

DA BIG ONE
12-31-2005, 05:14
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DA BIG ONE:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by TurboDiverArt:
[b]

Art. Need to hack VSSB on your 99 the correct settings for 3.42:1 ratio. </font>[/QUOTE]Is this just buying one for a 1500 6.5TD or getting an aftermarket one that has a selectable VSS?

I've debated getting taller tires for the Suburban and upping the ratio to 3.42. I drive highway about 80% of the time. Just got 19-MPH on a long highway drive and want that illusive 20+ MPG...

Would need to select the correct tires. I don

GSE2SCHMIDT
01-02-2006, 20:55
I punched up a set of new tires on NTB website for a 2005 Suburban with a Z71 package. It says a 265/70/17 this shouldn't be too radical of a change should it? I will have to find the standing height of the 265/70/17 vs the stock 245/75/16 (I've also seen alot of 265/75/16 on 4x4's)
A set of H2 Takeoffs is going from $150 to $200 (set of4 rims) and about 100 for shipping. I've got to get 4 new tires anyway, my buddy said he would give me $150 for the American aluminums I've got now to put on his trailer.

I also saw a pair of H3 takeoffs (6 lug pattern) for you 1500 guys out there although I think almost any Diesel 1500 was a 8 lugger anyway

Anybody have a picture of a suburban with H2 rims?

pjt97k2500
01-05-2006, 16:16
On the subject of tire diameter; on my 97 k2500 with 3.73 ratio, I am running 235/85R16(31.73") Michelins which allows me to cruise at 110 kph and approx. 1850 rpm. I can hit 20 mpg. The tires are slightly narrower and I am now on my second set of these tires. I put 100,000km on the first set by rotating every 10,000 km. Original tires were General and were total crap. I got only 50,000 km out of them. Handles great and a smoother ride.

TurboDiverArt
01-05-2006, 17:50
Originally posted by pjt97k2500:
On the subject of tire diameter; on my 97 k2500 with 3.73 ratio, I am running 235/85R16(31.73") Michelins which allows me to cruise at 110 kph and approx. 1850 rpm. I can hit 20 mpg. The tires are slightly narrower and I am now on my second set of these tires. I put 100,000km on the first set by rotating every 10,000 km. Original tires were General and were total crap. I got only 50,000 km out of them. Handles great and a smoother ride. Did you hack the VSS? Do you tow? My only concern is the slightly smaller tread width effects the load rating? Anyone know the answer to this?

I never thought about a 235 tire, nice!

EDIT: I believe if the load rating of the tire is an "E" I think it should have the same load rating as stock. I believe and above tire with a load rating of E should have the same towing capacity as the stock tire. Can someone confirm this?

Art.

[ 01-05-2006, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: TurboDiverArt ]

slagona
01-10-2006, 09:22
I've been running the H2 rims for over 3 years now. One of my original posts on the subject doesn't seem to come up when searching....

H2 Wheel Post (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004487)

On my 1999 K1500 Suburban, the 265-70-17's are as big as I could go without modifications. Even then, I get a slight rub when fully turned under the right conditions (a little bounce when the wheel is fully turned) - but it's only happened a handfull of times in the 45K miles I've put on them.

Photos at:

Webshot Photos (http://community.webshots.com/user/swlagona)

The hummer rims weigh 12 pounds less than the stock steel rims.

Yes, you have to modify your VSSB. With the tires I used, there is no exact setting for the VSSB. The closest you can get it gives you a little under 1% error with a 3:42 rear end. That is, my odometer is about 8.5 tenths of a mile off on a 100 mile trip.

When I had mine installed, the installer claimed the 315's would fit on the classic body style GM trucks with just a slight modification to the front - raise it a bit via the torsion bars. He installed several sets on GM vehicles using this method and had no clearance problems, but I don't think I really believe him on that one....

pjt97k2500
01-10-2006, 11:37
The 235 tires I am using are an "E" load rating, same as stock. Yes I do tow frequently, a fifth wheel horse trailer or a fifth wheel travel trailer. I did not hack the VSSB. I know that I am out 4 - 5% so I watch the speedo.

Big Red Suburban
01-12-2006, 12:35
I put H2 wheels on my sub a couple of years ago and installed bfg rugged terrian load range E tires 265/70/17 on them. These tires can be found on ebay as takeoffs of the new dodge or ford 3/4 ton trucks for much less than new price. I used the H2 centers and just cut the center out of the back caps to allow the full floater to stick out (which I painted silver to match). I always intended on installing the GM centers (modified to fit) but haven't gotten around to it yet. Here's some pics (http://community.webshots.com/album/86612741peTWdj)

The weight savings was significant, to say the least.

TurboDiverArt
01-14-2006, 06:42
Big Red, thanks for the pictures. Definitely looks cool. Also, good job on the full floater rear, I would not have imagined it would look that good. To the average Joe on the street I doubt they would know what they are looking at.

Also, I think a dumb question I probably should know the answer to. Probably going to answer my own question. Based on people's posts above. The VSS controls the speedometer as well? I ASSumed the speedo was controlled by a cable like the older ones. Is the speedo electronic taking signal from the VSS? Again, I ASSumed that the VSS only sent a signal to the PCM, not the speedo as well. Would be great if hacking the VSS would also correct the speedo. My next question was going to be asking if you could just swap the speedo gear in the transmission to correct the speedo like on older transmissions. Sounds like it's not needed, just hack the VSS and both are corrected.

Art.

Barry Nave
01-15-2006, 01:42
The VSSB controls the speedometer as well?

YES

I ASSumed the speedo was controlled by a cable like the older ones.

NO

Is the speedo electronic taking signal from the VSSB?

YES

Would be great if hacking the VSS would also correct the speedo.

YES

My next question was going to be asking if you could just swap the speedo gear in the transmission to correct the speedo like on older transmissions.

NO

Sounds like it's not needed, just hack the VSSB and both are corrected.

This VSSB should be corrected for the 4l80E also.

up date,thats 3 YES and 2 NO
:D ;)