PDA

View Full Version : suitable fan for a FSD

signgrafix
05-02-2006, 10:00
I have decided to relocate my FSD to the cab of the truck. Right now I am thinking under the passenger seat. I want to mount a small fan someting like a CPU fan out of a computer onto the heat sink. Is it possible to use a CPU fan? They are fairly inexpensive and quite. I do realize they also will fail form time to time. Anybody got any better ideas for a fan?
Also, I want to place a post shut down so when I shut off the truck the fan will continue to run for a few more minutes. Anybody got any ideas where to get an electronic control to do this?

DA BIG ONE
05-02-2006, 11:38
As for fan, any good 12v high cmf fan w/thermostat will do. However, if you are in an area of the country where it hot as hell the fan will run always.

Timers and thermostat switches can be had from haden.

BobND
05-02-2006, 11:54
I have decided to relocate my FSD to the cab of the truck. Right now I am thinking under the passenger seat. I want to mount a small fan someting like a CPU fan out of a computer onto the heat sink. Is it possible to use a CPU fan? They are fairly inexpensive and quite. I do realize they also will fail form time to time. Anybody got any better ideas for a fan?
Also, I want to place a post shut down so when I shut off the truck the fan will continue to run for a few more minutes. Anybody got any ideas where to get an electronic control to do this?

Go to http://www.digi-key.com/ and type fan into the search box. They are GREAT to deal with, and have most products in stock. They possibly may have some minature thermostats, too.

JohnC
05-02-2006, 12:28
I have decided to relocate my FSD to the cab of the truck. Right now I am thinking under the passenger seat...

I'd try to keep the extension harness as short as practical. The fuel solenoid has high current requirements and must switch on and off quickly. Added resistance and capacitance in the cabling can't be a good thing. Maybe under the dash somewhere?

BiggR
05-02-2006, 13:09
I've bought several fans from excess-solutions.com they have any size 12v fan you would need!!!

Bigg R

signgrafix
05-02-2006, 16:41
As for fan, any good 12v high cmf fan w/thermostat will do. However, if you are in an area of the country where it hot as hell the fan will run always.

Timers and thermostat switches can be had from haden.
Yea, I am OK with it running all the time. I really do not drive the truck that much so it will be OK.
Any more information on Haden? web address?

signgrafix
05-02-2006, 16:44
I'd try to keep the extension harness as short as practical. The fuel solenoid has high current requirements and must switch on and off quickly. Added resistance and capacitance in the cabling can't be a good thing. Maybe under the dash somewhere?
Yea, I would like to have put under the dash but I don't think there is enough room. I have a 72 inch harness extention I think that will reach no problem to under the seat. I had concerns about the length of the harness myself. I posted that exact question a while back on this site and nobody seemed to have a problem with the 72 inch extention.

signgrafix
05-03-2006, 09:12
I've bought several fans from excess-solutions.com they have any size 12v fan you would need!!!

Bigg R
Well I sent them an e-mail and this was their response
"This is far beyond our knowledge. We just sell the parts we don't have a
technical staff to address this type of thing."