PDA

View Full Version : Truck died while driving

rgrowan
12-22-2005, 14:07
Problem! I was driving my '99 GMC 2500 suburban 6.5L on the highway and it just died. Like it ran out of fuel. Cranks great, lots of power, but will not start. Same thing happened a couple of weeks ago, but as I was pulling over, it took off again, just fine. Not so lucky this time. Any ideas out there? Fuel injector pump relay? Fuel filter?

Hubert
12-22-2005, 14:49
Welcome. Read up on staling/PMD/FSD at the top of the board. There are a few things that are typical. Once you read through some posts you'll see lots of similar stories. Then you can post back some questions for feedback.

tom.mcinerney
12-22-2005, 18:07
Replacing fuel filter (checking for clogging from bad tankful) , checking DTC codes , and checking/cleaning fuse contacts may help for starters.

rgrowan
12-22-2005, 19:08
Truck started later on. Heat related problem? I think I'm dealing with an FSD problem. How goes the SOL-D testing?

Beedee
12-22-2005, 19:47
Had the something the same happen a couple of weeks ago, did a search under a couple of different problems. ie. stalling, FSD,PMD. Try a few different ways of wording, there is a lot of very good information there. I thought that I had been bitten by the FSD bug (just in time for Christmas :D ) but after reading through everything, and following some of the guys advice, I found a bad ground. Spent an afternoon with acouple of wrenches, some emery cloth and a couple of wire terminals the truck is back to running like it should be.
Made my day smile.gif

arveetek
12-23-2005, 08:33
Originally posted by rgrowan:
Truck started later on. Heat related problem? I think I'm dealing with an FSD problem. How goes the SOL-D testing? It does sound like the infamous FSD is failing. If you decide to replace the FSD, I would go with Kennedy's FSD cooler kit. While the SOL-D seems to work great under heat, it's not doing so well when it's cold. Extreme cold temperatures and the truck may not start. Some of the guys here may have fixed that problem by modifing the wiring with a relay, but I don't see why a guy should have to modify something he just bought in order to get it to work properly.

I almost went with the SOL-D, but now I'm glad I didn't. I've had zero problems with Kennedy's kit which is a very simple 'plug and play' installation.

Casey

Marty Lau
12-23-2005, 13:44
Well, I'm going to chime in here, for my money it hard to beat Heath's 7 year free replacement part warranty. I have had mine a bit over 2 years and 40,000 miles plus and not a hicup. I have a Beta cooler (what kennedy sells) with a DEAD FSD on it that I'll be happy to sell anyone for $75 bucks shipped standard UPS or Postal.

N9Phil
12-23-2005, 21:32
16ga SxS , I am very interested in the Beta cooler. How long is the cable.

N9Phil