PDA

View Full Version : Parking the DMax/Alli - Sad Day

dogren
05-03-2006, 05:23
Well, I bit the bullet and purchased a little peanut car to commute with. So, my truck is now parked and will be used to trailer stuff once in a while. Any recommendations on parking the truck other than running it at full temp a couple times a month? Thanks in advance. Dave

More Power
05-03-2006, 08:41
General advice for anyone storing or parking their truck for long periods include a full tank of fuel and changing the oil. When storing for 4-6 months or more, you could also put the truck on jack stands to take the weight off the tires & suspension. Keep the batteries charged - a battery minder might not be a bad idea.

Jim

JohnC
05-03-2006, 14:48
Well, I bit the bullet and purchased a little peanut car to commute with. ...

I was thinking about the same thing, until I figured out I'd have to drive it about 100,000 miles to break even...

hapaschold
05-03-2006, 16:16
i hope the peanut car is getting min of 40 mpg....thats about what u need to break even with insurance costs, maintenance etc. i guess the good is maintenance will be alittle cheaper, of course depending on choice of peanut car. ownership of 2 cars seem always to cost double.......

one dmax off the road, one more on the road.. hopefully picking mine up thursday.....dealer said that s all he s really selling now...read article that ford truck sales are off 24% or something like that but gm s is only off by 2%.maybe 6.0 owner jumping to dmax........thats my excuse. 6.0

Albee
05-04-2006, 05:15
I bought an inexpensive used grocery getter about 15 months ago. Dooley sits most of the time. I figure that when gas is above 2.85 a gal. I am breaking about even as far as monthly money out. Grocery getter, w/ gas, payment and insurance runs right at 190.00 a month. Truck will be right at that just with fuel. But in my mind. A huge plus is I am saving many many miles on the truck. Bought the truck in Sept. of 05 and have 3.6K on it now. Without the getter, would have about 10K on it.

D-max Man
05-04-2006, 09:20
I hate peanut cars!

I drive 57 miles one way to work every day so I considered one but I am 6'2" and I just don

JoeyD
05-04-2006, 13:04
I would drive it once a week anyways. Gets all the fluids up to temp and burns off moisture.

SoTxPollock
05-07-2006, 17:06
The worst thing about letting one sit is that it takes about 24 hours before corrosion starts to build on itself. Just starting the engine and driving causes enough vibration to stop the corrosion process that may have just gotten started the day before. Be sure if you wash it and put it away to drive it long enough to dry out all the moisture, otherwise, your're probably alright in doing exactly what you said every couple of weeks, at least I think so.

BozDMAX
05-07-2006, 19:47
RE: "...read article that ford truck sales are off 24% or something like that but gm s is only off by 2%.maybe 6.0 owner jumping to dmax........"

Wonder if this is part of the reason why... www.boycottford.com

Not that I really needed ANOTHER reason not to buy one, but...

kburati
05-08-2006, 07:21
I can attest to this being a very bad idea. I used to let my '01 DRW Dmax sit for a month at a time the first couple years and only use it for trips/hauling. I thought I was saving the truck but I ended up with a couple thousand dollars of pre-mature service/replacement needs as a result. Nobody's mentioned it so far but the brakes are a big concern about letting the truck sit. My rotors rusted/pitted so deep that they couldn't be turned and started flaking apart. Vibration when stopping was dangerous and this was when the truck only had 30k on it. Replacing all four rotors/pads on these trucks is a minimun $2k job that I had to have done. Cheapest replacement rotor my dealer could find was $390/rotor. I try to drive my truck at least 2 or 3 times a week now.

Another reason not to let it sit, and I knew this too, is that diesel engines need to run. This is an issue with large pleasure boats since they're too big for gas engines but the owners don't get out on them often enought to run the engines frequently enough so algae grows in the tanks and corrosion occurs in the engines. A Cummins on a Fishing boat will last 15x the number of hours compared to a Cummins on a large Sea Ray, its because they're worked every day.

So in addition to figuring out the break even cost of the add'l insurance/maint add in the additional maint this approach will run you on the truck.

My 1994 K1500 now has 170k miles on it and the engine runs like it did when I first got it, never had premature issues on any parts like I did on the 3500 DRW but then again I never let it sit for any length of time.

AndyU
05-12-2006, 12:54
[QUOTE=D-max Man]I hate peanut cars!

I drive 57 miles one way to work every day so I considered one but I am 6'2" and I just don

D-max Man
05-15-2006, 08:27
No spam here, I was just relaying my experience with this product much as others have with synthetic oils or other additives (Standadyne - Lucas).

I tried it and I saw the results. Take it for what it is worth.

David Proske
05-18-2006, 06:24
I know this is a little late, but I saw a news clip on the Texas Attorney General going after these people selling the Bio Performance Fuel additive....

The T.A.G. found that the product did nothing, the company was making false claims...

Someone claiming that a fuel pill gained him 37% in a cummins....well common sense should apply there.....

Here is the link on the investigation
http://www.oag.state.tx.us/oagnews/release.php?id=1569

[QUOTE=D-max Man]I hate peanut cars!

D-max Man
05-18-2006, 08:39
The company has been temporarily shut down. Next step is for them to prove their claims in court, which they say they can do. If they can't prove it, I will come back here and apologize to you all. I have been a member of this board too long and have too much respect for Jim, to be recommending junk. I would never do that intentionally.

I can tell you this though, I tried it and in my car I saw both an increase in fuel mileage and in performance. Based upon that, I believe that it works. The only question for me is Is it toxic? They claim it is not but who knows?

ToddMeister
05-19-2006, 04:21
I wonder if it has any effect on the injection system. Will this product cause more wear in the injectors, fuel pump or other fuel system components? I'm not so sure about dumping pills or powder into the fuel tank...

The company has been temporarily shut down. Next step is for them to prove their claims in court, which they say they can do. If they can't prove it, I will come back here and apologize to you all. I have been a member of this board too long and have too much respect for Jim, to be recommending junk. I would never do that intentionally.

I can tell you this though, I tried it and in my car I saw both an increase in fuel mileage and in performance. Based upon that, I believe that it works. The only question for me is Is it toxic? They claim it is not but who knows?