PDA

View Full Version : 3 inch muffler recommendations

jeffscarstrucks
05-03-2006, 11:39
I am finally on the path to make my old truck run better and now I am doing the exaust. I have all of the tubing to do 3 inch all the way back but I am not sure what muffler to use. As always I am coming here for an informed opinion as to what really works well. I am also afraid to ask how obnoxious is a 6.5 with NO muffler? Thanks in advance, JEFF

Dvldog8793
05-03-2006, 12:40
Howdy
I have a 3.5 system with no muffler. It is pretty loud, but not nearly as loud as some of the 4banger rice rockets running around. I started with a JK muffler turned the proper direction then turned it backwards the removed it. Straight out has the best results with not much difference in noise.
Have fun!
L8r
Conley

G. Gearloose
05-05-2006, 06:10
Go no muffler.

My 2nd choice would be Dynomax straight-through race series. Very strudy, and well built.

Warren96
05-05-2006, 07:25
The stock downpipe needed some help it was badly distorted,but ordering a new one when it was under warranty was better .I tried a glasspack (look in one end - out the other)But I didnt like it because it was too loud.Could also hear a lot of turbo whine,made it sound like a garbage truck.Also caught the attention of our inspection stations,and the police would give me second looks when I drove by.By the why the MPG's stayed the same! Just my .02, your results my vary.

moondoggie
05-05-2006, 09:53
Good Day!

"...how obnoxious is a 6.5 with NO muffler?" Our Sub has JK's 3.5" system. JK's muffler is maybe (guessing, I'm not going out there to crawl under it) 12" long & 6" around, & you can look straight through it. How does it sound? With the stock system, you were aware you were driving a diesel; with this system, you are not - the exhaust covers it. If we open the right-side windows, especially the right rear, you hear the turbo whine. I judge that at least 98% of Page members would find this exhaust noise not only acceptable but would like it; I don't - I'd rather not hear the engine at all at highway speeds (like my pickup with stock exhaust & the Gear Vendors engaged).

Blessings!

jeffscarstrucks
05-06-2006, 21:01
Well It's Saturday night and I'm finally in for the night. 11 hours, 2 10 foot pieces of 3 inch tubing and a new Flowmaster cross over and down pipe and $230 later I have a semi-loud free breathing system. After a little TIG and MIG welding, drilling and tapping and plasma cutting, and a lot of thinking I decided to forego the muffler all together (as per dvldog's post) so I hope it is a good choice. I do like to hear the whine but I'm a little worried about how loud it will be under a load while towing. I used band clamps on the tail pipe to mid pipe joint so adding a muf will be an easy install if I decide to go that way. On my short test drive I did notice that it seems to rev faster than with the all stock system. I will keep you posted and thanks for the input!