PDA

View Full Version : B99 bio diesel. Whos using it?Can I use in my 6.5 td?

asabadin
05-03-2006, 15:54
I have a 99 suburban(502 casting) and want to use b99 biodiesel in my truck. Is there any damage this fuel can cause to my 6.5? is it safe for my injection pump?
(i.e. will it burn out the seals faster) Will it cause any damage to my engine?
What draw backs are there to using 99% soy biodiesel with 1% fuel? Loss of power?
Who is using it? Like to hear some first hand experience.

Perry
05-03-2006, 19:01
I ran B99 all last summer without any problems, but then this winter I started having drivability problems. Random stalling, no-start, and two trips home via AAA. Turned out that the B99 "cleaned" out my tank and the crud eventually plugged up the fuel sock/strainer in the tank.

And you have to drop the tank in order to replace the fuel sock. But at least that gives you the opportunity to have the tank cleaned and lines flushed.

I didn't notice a MPG hit like I did when running B99 on my Mercedes wagon. However, on cold days, the truck felt sluggish. So during the winter I switched back to regular diesel. I'm slowly getting back on B99 and as an extra bonus, its now cheaper than regular diesel in my area.

asabadin
05-03-2006, 19:44
thanks for the info. I am in So cal so I hope the cold will not be an issue. Did you install other filter medias before you started running b99? If so what setup and why?

Perry
05-04-2006, 08:13
I didn't add any extra filters or water separators as I was running "commercial grade" B99. I would just check your regular fuel filter and clean out the crud in the fuel filter bowl on a regular basis till everything clears up...and if it doesn't eventually clear up, then you probably need to have your tank cleaned.

Bornready6.5
05-04-2006, 10:33
I run 100% Homebrew. Been doing great, no problems. Just keep a close eye on your fuel filter. As far as the DS4 goes, I havent had any problems with it running BIO. I did change one optic sensor, but it was acting up before I even ran any BIO at all. I also make fuel for my Brothers D-max and ISB cummins and he runs 100% also....No problems to date.

I added a extra 2 micron CAT filter before the IP just in case.

It is also very important you are running a good quality fuel. Being a homebrewer, I know excactly what Im puttin in my tank and its passed all my QT tests as well as washing it real good.

I am not familiar with commercial BIO for it is not available in my area so I cant comment on that. Although..I have read several horror story about commercial 100% BIO.

moondoggie
05-04-2006, 10:52
Good Day!

Bornready6.5: Are you manufacturing your own BIO (biodiesel), or are you brewing your own waste vegetable oil (WVO)? These are almost completely different subjects. It might help other readers if you could clarify. :D

Blessings!