PDA

View Full Version : Antilock Brake Recall

MEP
05-04-2006, 17:56
Now that I've got your attention, what is the status of that GM antilock brake recall for the 1999-2002 trucks/SUV's? Remember, its due to corrosion causing low speed, <5mph, antilock brake activation. For more details, "crew84" posted it 8-31-05.

My 2001 2500HD has been doing it for a while now and it seems to be getting worse.....but I can handle it.

JohnC
05-05-2006, 08:25
My 2001 2500HD has been doing it for a while now and it seems to be getting worse.....but I can handle it.

I'd get it tended to ASAP. It nearly caused an accident for me in my wife's '99. I don't know anything about the recall for your truck, but it's an easy fix, so you could do it yourself. John Kennedy posted the procedure elsewhere, but basically, get the rust off and put something on it to keep it from rusting in the future.

kburati
05-08-2006, 06:15
I just had my '01 3500 tended to for this. I never rec'd a recall but in the past six months I started noticing this. Not sure how this could cause an accident though since it only engaged below 5 mph. Maybe it's just my conservative braking style though, while driving a dually I never plan to stop 2' from the next person and I'm always down under 10 mph at least 30' before I get to the next vehicle. The service sheet shows that they "cleaned & Lubricated both front wheel brake sensors". Nothing regarding what will prevent it in the future though.

JohnC
05-09-2006, 12:58
... Not sure how this could cause an accident though since it only engaged below 5 mph....

Hi Kevin! ;)

Flatlander! Our driveway is very steep and dumps out onto on a rural road with a 55 mph speed limit. 2 feet can make all the difference in the world...

kburati
05-10-2006, 09:47
Could be that my brakes were simply so bad to begin with that I was planning stops so far before I needed that this did not cause and issue for me. I have a 1994 1500 short bed gasser too and I do drive that vehicle completely differently than I drive the Duramax Dually. I simply feel like I'm driving a big rig with the 3500 DRW CC Diesel. I imagine if I had a 2500HD short bed I'd likely be driving it more like I drive my 1500 today in which case this issue would be a problem for me.

My apologies, my response was biased to the big 3500 DRW. Some people post here that there dually drives like a sports car, I've never even come close to making that comparison. It's a really big truck!

JohnC
05-10-2006, 14:44
Could be that my brakes were simply so bad to begin with that I was planning stops so far before I needed that this did not cause and issue for me. I have a 1994 1500 short bed gasser too...

I know what you drive. Don't you recognize the picture in my avatar? It was taken right outside your office door... ;)

The problem I had with the '99 was that when the ABS went haywire it simply would not stop on the grade of the driveway no matter how slow you were going. It finally stopped when the front wheels hit the relatively level road. Fortunately no one was coming.

kburati
05-10-2006, 14:55
Sorry, I was a little slow today Coop.

Guess my problem was not as bad.

JohnC
05-11-2006, 07:31
Sorry, I was a little slow today Coop.

:rolleyes:

Guess my problem was not as bad.

Yeah, it was pretty scarry! The steepest part of the drive is the last 10 feet or so, and I was barely rolling, but when I pushed a little harder on the pedal all I got was a foot massage...

PLUMMER
05-19-2006, 08:26
Well if you don't understand how this long awaited, but now out of warranty recall can be a problem, then be happy you don't own a 99' or affected unit. I have 2 serious accidents and several close calls because of the bad braking system. No dealer to date has admitted or been able to remedy the problem. Its a complete brake failure when the ABS is activated, and the slower the speed the worse the failure. As in imagine hitting your brakes in any situation at or near 10mph and then the ABS activates because of snow, dirt, a pot hole, uneven traction of any type between the wheels and you will coast as far as that 5-10 mph will take your truck. The ABS system simply will NOT rebrake or attempt to apply braking pressure when going this slow. Also at higher speeds, where a normal ABS system will activate then control imediately, this truck will activate,hesitate then think about appling brake pressure all the while your eyes went from OK to a concern now to dinner plate size as you uncontrolably stomp or try to activate the brakes in any way. A popular way is to go through an asphalt intersection with the grooves in it from heavy semi's wearing in waves into the soft asphalt . When braking while going thru and intersection or coming to one when its rough will cause you to sail thru as if never hitting your brakes. WHat I did to remedy this was just to yank out the ABS fuse under the hood. As long as you are a competent driver you will find your braking much better. Far shorter stoping distance tahn withthe ABS in ANY condition. You will also reduce the need to replace your rear brakes 3 times to every 1 set of front pads and get back on the normal schedule.

KayCee
05-19-2006, 17:23
As I posted on another thread (advice on brakes please), I'am having problems and paid big time to have my rear brakes relined where the front are supposedly fine. Is there an official recall for the ABS problem so I can talk to my dealer?? My truck is an 02.

Thanks

KayCee
06-04-2006, 17:52
Either I have missed something or nobody cares to respond. Is there a recall on the 02 ABS problem or is there not? Is this a recall only while still on the warranty and that can't be. Someone suggested be sure to get it fixed. Is this at our expense or others? The post by PLUMMER has me concerned and if I have to do my rear brakes again before the front, unless this is normal, my dealer will not be happy to see us.

Thanks for any help.

rat4go
06-05-2006, 07:31
I don't know the details of your rear brake issues (life of linings, usage of truck, etc), but you may want to consider the following info....

I'm pretty sure that in 2001, GM did what's called Dynamic Proportioning in the HD trucks. What this does is use the back brakes a bunch more that in the 'old days'. With the old, 'front biased' system, if you stepped on the pedal enough to get tire lock-up, you'd rather lock the fronts and allow the rears to still roll, as this would tend to make the vehicle travel straight, thus old systems were front-biased for safety reasons, and you toasted your front brakes much quicker than rears. (I had a 94 GMC 1500 that had original rear brakes, and was on it's 3 set of fronts at 100k miles)

The newer systems use the rear brakes more than ever, as physics says (if you aren't locking up any wheels), using the back brakes more is a more stable way to slow down, especially loaded. This also enables the brakes at all four corners to work up to the limit of traction and help you stop in less distance by distributing the brake force more evenly front-to-rear, and limiting your chances of cooking the front brakes in the old systems.

The system works by having the ABS system monitor the rear 'lock-up' and reduces pressure to the rears only IF the backs are close to locking. The fronts are still working, but not as hard as in the 'old days' as the rears are helping more. Said a different way, the rears are working much harder than they used to.

This means the 'old days' of front linings being toast WAY before rears is likely gone, especially if you tow/haul a lot where this system can really get away with more rear brake as with towing/hauling and the associated rear axle weight, you're even less likely to lock up the rears with the additional rear brake bias.

Rich

KayCee
06-05-2006, 10:19
Rich,

Thanks for the explanation on break wear - guess we'll just have to live the new wear pattern.

When I read my previous post, I may not have explained myself very well. The recall I'm concerned with is the one for 99-02 trucks (GM recall for antilock braking due to corrosion causing low speed activation).

Any info on this item as I have experienced this a couple of times and if the circumstances had not been favourable??

Thanks

PLUMMER
06-27-2006, 16:50
yes there is an official recal for 99-02 models with the abs. They are offering to "clean" or inspect the affected areas. ( areas around the abs pick up sensors). I have the actual notice, but cannot post it here. reducing the image also reduces the image quality to unreadable.