PDA

View Full Version : Batt disconnect - no glow

chickenhunterbob
05-04-2006, 19:36
I think I may have asked this before,

Perhaps others too.

When you disconnect the batteries for maintenance, or whatever reason, the first start up results in a no-glow sort of situation. The light will flash and nothing. Hard starting if it were fairly cold out.

Tonight I did the batt mtce thing, but...

before I cranked it over, I disconnected the connection to the coolant temp sensor in the crossover manifold,

viola - truck thinks it's 40 below, glows like a charm

this may be unique to 94, not sure...

john8662
05-04-2006, 23:13
This symptom is completly normal. My '95 does it. Just turn the key to run after reconnecting the batteries, let the plugs flash for the very short duration that they do (sometimes just flash). Let the ignition stay on for a minute. Then turn the key back to off. Then turn the key back to run and the glow plugs will cycle normally. It's the computer learning the different parameters after a hard reboot (power disconnected via batteries).

I don't try and start it with the little glow...

J

Warren96
05-05-2006, 06:00
Now that you mention it I can remember times when this has happened. Maybe that is why these 6.5s can be such a pain in the @ss to start when your headlights run down the batteries....Jumpstarting is only part of the solution. Another piece of the puzzle!

Warren96
05-05-2006, 14:22
John -is a hard reboot the same as the key on key off way of reseting the computer paramaters?