PDA

View Full Version : 94 6.5 missing

farmboy1989
05-06-2006, 18:57
I just bought a 94 6.5 chevy 1 ton turbo diesel today knowing it had a few problems.It doesnt start without ether(i make sure the glow plugs dont turn on) and it is severly missing on 1 or 2 cylinders.Truck has 160,000 miles on it.GM dealer just installed brand new injection pump.It shakes pretty bad because its missing and sounds pretty bad, but it fogs out white smoke.Doesnt appear to be from water so i am thinking unburnt fuel.Engine has almost no blowby at all. So the consensus here appears to be thinking that they did not get the new pump timed correctly which would explain the problems starting, or that a couple of injectors are bad.Anybody have any ideas?......Also, how do you time the injection pumps on this thing, it is the electronic injection pump.Anybody have any other things i should look for?Thanks!

BrentN
05-06-2006, 21:15
Farmboy,
Do a search on crossed injection lines. It hasnt happened to me, but I know several others who had rough running engines after a pump swap and it turned out to be two lines that are very close to one another at the pump that were swapped. Good luck.

More Power
05-06-2006, 21:15
The "missing" could be due to fouled injectors or poor compression in one or more cylinders. Another possibility could be a valve rocker arm is out of line with the valve (broken nylon botton securing its location on the rocker shaft).

Let the engine idle, then remove the oil fill cap (be careful not to get your sleeve in the fan). It you're seeing white smoke emanating from the oil fill pipe, you've got one or more bad pistons. It's somewhat normal for wisps of white smoke to be seen at the fill pipe, but puffing dense white smoke is a bad thing.:(

If you only see thin wisps of white smoke at the oil fill pipe, I'd pull the valve covers to investigate....

Jim

farmboy1989
05-07-2006, 18:27
It has no blow by, or white smoke as you call it coming out the filler tube or out the breather on the valve cover.....it has no back pressure at all there..............for 160,000 miles that amazes me...as of right now im considering pulling the injectors.