PDA

View Full Version : 97 van spewing coolant

barebackjake
08-10-2004, 18:06
dang van is spewing coolant out, isnt overheating on gauge, new tstat and radiator cleaned and everything flushed. didnt start doing this until new transmision was put in. trans normally rund 10 degrees cooler than engine temp for the most part. it blows all the coolant out of the bottle, and i put a bottle on the overflow hose to make sure thats where i was losing the coolant and it blows bubbles in the bottle when its sitting there, its got a new radiator cap also. coolant is staying a nice green color still and no traces of contamination in it. no water is winding up in the oil pan either. I just dont understand this and ive already dumped stupid amounts of money into this thing. irks me when it ran fine before the new tranny was put it. seems like a blown head gasket, cracked head. but theres no contaimination in the coolant and stuck the smog sniffer in the coolant bottle and the co2 levels are nothing. Fire fixes all eh??

Dvldog 8793
08-10-2004, 18:34
howdy
Get a pressure tester for the coolant system. Make sure to test it hot and cold for about 5 times longer than the book tells you to. Does it bubble when you first start it up or only when warmed up. Sounds like you've got compression blowing into the coolant system. I had huge crack in my block and was lossing antifreeze but my oil never gained. The only way that I found it was to pressure test the system at 18psi for 6 hours cold. Then just barely cracked the oil plug and caught the first couple drips, antifreeze not oil.
Hope yours is something better!

charliepeterson
08-10-2004, 19:00
Another quick way to check out a head gasket is to squeeze the top radiator hose before the thermostat opens. If the hose is hard then compression is getting into the coolant system.

barebackjake
08-10-2004, 20:03
yeah i pressure checked it hot and cold and it holds but only did it for an hour and didnt crack open hte drain plug in the oil pan. ive already dumped 6k into this pos for a transmission, computer, turn signal switch. think im a gonna go trade it in and buy a new ford, my 97 f250 psd had 455k on it only done injectors and a water pump, starter, alternator, and the other normal crap to it

barebackjake
08-10-2004, 20:06
hey is it possible to crack the block putting the tranny back in or pulling it out??? cause it didnt do any of this till the tranny shop got ahold of it????