PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brake connector

DmaxMad
05-08-2006, 13:46
Am trying to hook up a brake unit on my dads 2000 chevy 1500. It did not come with the seven round connector from the factory. But it does have a place just like my 2002 2500hd to plug in the brake unit. First question will my factory suppiled trailer brake connector from my 2500hd fit his 2000? Also are all the wires already in the back under his truck for the brakes?

I do not need my factory connector any more, I bought a prodigy with the connect so there would be not spliced connections.

arveetek
05-10-2006, 10:55
The 1999 to 2002 trucks used the same connector for plugging the brake controller into the factory-supplied wiring under the dash. The 2003 and later trucks also use the same connector, but the wires have been relocated to different terminals inside the connector, not sure why. So, your old wire harness should plug into the 2000 truck just fine.

I imagine you will find a problem with the wiring, though, due to the fact that the 1500's without a factory 7 way plug installed from the factory do not have everything hooked up. You'll probably find the blue brake wire and red/orange charge wire already ran to the rear of the truck. But, when you plug in the brake controller, it may not work. I have found that for some reason, GM didn't finish hooking up all the wires. You might have to look at the black fuse box under the hood on the driver's side. On several 1500's I've worked on, the charge and brake wires were just hanging there underneath the box. (Just unclip the box housing and pull it up a bit, you don't have to remove it). The charge wire is red with a ring terminal on it, it needs to be hooked up to the large power stud under the fuse box. The blue wire has a connector on it and just needs to be plugged in, I think. It's been a few days.....;)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Casey

DmaxMad
05-10-2006, 14:26
I will take a look at it. Thanks for the information.