PDA

View Full Version : turbo dont turbo

jon6.5
05-09-2006, 22:43
I recently became a little skeptical of weather or not the turbo in my 1996 6.5l worked so I installed a gauge and sure enough nothing showed up. I tested the gauge its fine, the waste gate is working properly, and the turbo blades spin but the dam thing won

ronniejoe
05-10-2006, 04:43
Welcome to the forum!

First, check vacuum at the pump and down stream of the wastegate solenoid. Vacuum at the pump should be about 22" hg at idle. Vacuum down stream of the solenoid should be about 15" hg at idle. If no vacuum at the pump, it is probably bad. Is it making any noise?

If good vacuum at pump, but none down stream of the solenoid, check to ensure that there are no cracks in either vacuum line (to and from). If no cracks, solenoid may be bad. These are about $30 at the dealer.

If good vacuum down stream of the wastegate, check to ensure no mechanical failures at the wastegate actuator.

If you search on this subject, you'll find lots of interesting reading.

jon6.5
05-14-2006, 23:06
ok aparently if the waste gate is hard to move by hand while running is a poor test beause my dad (runs a fleet of disels) did a lil tweaking with the waste gate and the turbo now works great.