PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 manual tranny info

weigellj
05-10-2006, 17:45
I am wanting to stick a 6.2 banks turbo'd diesel into a toyota fj-40 landcruiser and I want to run it with a Advance Adapter chevy v8 bellhousing to a toyota w56 5 speed tranny and toyota tcase. Reason for this is I want 5th gear and I have numerous toyota trannys/tcases available for little or nothing. I don't want to spend the money on a NV4500 plus the money into adapting it to a toyota tcase. Another issue is I do not want an automatic.

I have a couple of questions with the flywheel for using a standard transmission wether it is a sm420, sm465 or a nv4500. I thought I read somewhere that the 6.2 is externally balanced.

1. Is the 6.2 is an externally balanced flywheel or flexplate engine, or can I use any flywheel that will bolt up too the 6.2 crank.

2. Is the bolt pattern from a 350 chevy crank, the same as a 6.2, i.e a 350 flywheel workable on a 6.2?

3. How many teeth are on the stock 6.2 flywheel, 158 or 162?

4. If I need a 6.2 specific flywheel, where do I get one and what do I ask for? Year model truck ect. Anyone have one for sale if so?

5. Any reasons why it wouldn't work?

Thanks

BobND
05-10-2006, 21:02
The 6.2 is an externally-balanced engine. Both the flexplate and the solid flywheel are HEAVILY counterweighted.

I can't recall the ring gear tooth count, offhand, but it is a much coarser pitch, hence way LESS teeth than any of the gasser options.

poolmike
05-11-2006, 03:25
I believe the 6.2 and 6.5 share the same part number for flywheels. They are available new at NAPA and Autozone.

trbankii
05-11-2006, 04:50
The W56 was the 5-speed found behind the 22R and 22RE four cylinders. Although people have put them behind mild gas V8s, I doubt that it will hold up to a diesel unless it is going to be mainly street driven with a soft foot.

I've seen 6.2/6.5 swaps using the stock LandCruiser transmissions, but I'd say that going to the mini-truck/4Runner transmission is not likely the right choice.

weigellj
05-11-2006, 07:23
Thanks for the replies.

Plan for the rig is a street only driver, with very occasional offroad use and I usually drive pretty sensable. If the w56 doesn't hold up, I have thought of the r150 or r151 as an option also. People are putting the supra 7mget infront of all three of these trannys and are getting around 300 hp and 300 tq with good results. I personally have had built 4.3's and 350's infront of these trannies as well with good luck in the past. The LC 4 speed was a thought, but I want a overdrive in the equation so I can go above 55mph. I guess down the line, I can go to the nv4500 if the yota 5 speed does not hold up to the power. The whole issue right now is the total cost and I want to keep it within the budget I have now. Future budget is another issue. Thanks again

Lee

trbankii
05-11-2006, 08:36
I can certainly understand the "getting it on the road" budget situation. I just tend to look at the issues of downtime and re-engineering when something breaks and you end up upgrading later. I've always thought the LC with a 6.2/6.5 was the way to go! Good luck with the project!

weigellj
05-11-2006, 12:09
Thanks again

I had a FJ-40 with a 350 and a sm420 tranny. I did like it other than the fact the mileage was around 10mpg and the top speed was around 60mph. Feels funny on the highway when everyone including the old people are passing you by like you are standing still. You could take it faster, but it sounded like the engine was going to blow. Also had a similar FJ-40 with a stock 2f and the yota 4 speed. You could get it up to about 70-75, but again the engine sounded like it was going to grenade and the mileage still was around 12-15. Hoping to get around 20 with the diesel and 5 speed setup. Both my father and grandfather had 6.2's and never got below 20. A buddy of mine has a non turbo'd 6.5 in a cheby and gets around 20. Looking at the idea of the biodiesel down the road as well, with the way the oil prices are going. What the heck if it works great, if not, it will be a fun project and should make use of alot of the parts I have sitting not getting used now and I can always go to a different tranny combo in the future.