PDA

View Full Version : 94 electronic pump

farmboy1989
05-11-2006, 19:26
My 94 6.5 turbo diesel has the electronic pump.My question is, what exactly is the electronic part?...timing?fuel amount?What does it mean that its electronic? ....I just purchased this truck and it runs extremely bad. I talked to the previous owner that traded it in and he said that the injection pump went out on it but before that it was running good, and the injectors only had 500 miles on them since replacement.It only has 160,000 miles no blow by. The chevy dealer i bought it from replaced the injection pump on it with a brand new one, it runs terrible and shakes bad and puffs solid white smoke constantly that is raw unburnt diesel. I think they didnt get it timed correctly. Is this most likely?

ronniejoe
05-11-2006, 19:56
The pump is completely controlled electronically. Fuel delivery, timing, everything. In fact, your truck is "drive by wire"... there is no mechanical linkage between the foot feed and the pump. The foot feed is just a potentiometer (so to speak). Your symptoms do sound like timing related...too reatarded.

Search the forums for more information. Also, there are a couple of good articles in the 6.5 book available on the content side of the site.

signgrafix
05-11-2006, 20:20
I am Fairly new to the diesel thing myself but, probably the best investment I have made so far, are the books that you can get off this site by Kennedy. My knowledge has increased 300% Buy the books. Trust me.

Cowracer
05-12-2006, 12:05
Sounds like maybe someone got an injector line crossed during pump replacement. There is a pair that it's really easy to do that on (I cant remember which).

that would give you the symotom you describe. The correct order is 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3

Tim

john8662
05-12-2006, 14:28
are the books that you can get off this site by Kennedy.

Umm. they ain't by Kennedy, although I'm sure he's contributed quite often.

Most are by fellow members and by Jim.

Just had to clear the record.

J

Patrick m.
05-12-2006, 17:56
i have a pic of injector pipe orientation if needed.