PDA

View Full Version : Buying a remanufactured 6.5L Turbo Diesel

hookdc
05-13-2006, 05:28
I am looking to buy a remanufactured 6.5L turbo diesel for my 1994 Suburban 2500. My current engine has a cracked block. Do the remanufactured engines incorporate changes addressing the design flaws found in the 1994 engines? Who are good sources?

Hubert
05-13-2006, 06:23
"Remanufactured" engines are anybody's guess. It all depends on what block they rework. Unless they provide casting info on block as to when it was originally made you don't know. I seriously doubt large economy engine builders really cater to the 6.5 power/durability crowd they are just reworking what ever cores they get back for what ever reason it was pulled out of vehicle. I would say luck of the draw.

You'll have to buy a newer engine or from a reputable 6.5 distributor ie diesel enthusiast vendor to get the latest and greatest block guarantee. Or search for a block to have rebuilt.

Lots of threads on this question. Hopefully competition will keep the market interesting to watch for improvements and quality parts at a reasonable cost for several more years.

More Power
05-13-2006, 12:31
Kennedydiesel.com and peninsulardiesel.com both sell engines with the newest crackfree blocks (produced since 11/2001 by International Casting Corp for AMG) and cyl head castings. :)

Jim

Patrick m.
05-14-2006, 05:48
my research has led me to this. You can buy a re-man for around $2500- $3000, but it has to be junk.
The cost of machine work, premium internal parts, repaired, and "crack proofed" heads exceeds this amount, so no major engine rebuilder could take this route and pay an employee's labor to do it. The savings must come at the expense of parts and machine work.

The only way to get a trustworthy engine is what was mentioned in the posts above.
Anything else would most likely be a ticking time bomb, too much money to waste.

john8662
05-14-2006, 14:28
There is an outfit in NY that has to be the WORST builder that I've ever known of. They adverise selling tons of 6.5's and at a cheap price.

Well, a diesel mechanic here locally installed on for a customer (after I warned him it would be crapola, it was the customers purchase) and before they could even get it installed they had to put new freeze plugs in it, because the ones in it were very rusted and one leaked.

Once running, the engine developed a knock at startup that would go away after (guess what) one of the USED lifters pressured up and worked.

I'll agree, that you have to spend ~4k to get an engine that has had all the parts changed (cost of parts) and the appropriate machining and labor.

moondoggie
05-15-2006, 10:52
Good Day!

I'm fairly sure all Peninsular engines are built with only the latest, strongest (we all hope) block. I think RJ uses the same block, but doesn't depend on the block - he likes to add splayed mains, which seems like the best way to go. I don't know what JK is selling.

You really can't go wrong with any of these vendors, but if I decided a truck was worth replacing its engine, I don't think I'd bother with anything without splayed mains.

And, yeah, Ron's a real good friend of mine, but I've thought splayed mains make the most sense for a long time, just based on what I've read here on the Page over the years.

Blessings!

tommac95
05-15-2006, 21:10
Hook--
Here's how i see it [stock 6.5 drivers must keep mindful of the source of their next engine]. Generally the advertisers on this site are better than most.

There are two ways around the problem of the blocks' tendency to crack:
1.) new production castings , and 2.) remachined older blocks for installation of "splayed" main bearing caps.

John Kennedy http://www.kennedydiesel.com generally only provides reliable solutions, and deals "Powrbilt" engines, which i believe are assembly-line remanufactured New-casting blocks, with good QC/QA . Kennedy also sells the "splayed" mains, not sure if the Powrbilt blocks are available with that feature, or if it is considered desirable or necessary with the new blocks . I think the starting price is about $5000.

Peninsular Engines www.peninsulardiesel.com (http://www.peninsulardiesel.com) sells new factory production blocks with higher output and reliability features [their core market is 'marinized' engines for boats(marine commercial and pleasurecraft applications) where the fuel economy, torque and lack of spark ignition are advantageous]. I think these start about $8000.

Avant Salvage http://www.avantsalvage.com sells remanufactured blocks/engines . They have built some very fine engines, and have a vast inventory of used blocks ... but i don't think they offer "splayed" mains , and so don't address block cracking. If you're considering a budget supplier like that cautioned against in above post by John8662, give Avant a call instead . [Check with them on schedule/leadtime].

The DieselServicesGroup offers complete long/shortblocks {ca$10,000} and also parts/kits. I think these are remanned New blocks, similar to the Powrbilt/Kennedy option .
http://www.dieselservices.com/html/dsg_dieselpro_engines/

My pricing may be off {call and/or check websites} , but this is intended as a fair overall appraisal ; i've been monitoring this for a few years . The aftermarket timing GEAR setup {as opposed to stock/OEM chaindrive} is generally considered a worthwhile investment in a new engine. New cam followers are also recommended.

moondoggie
05-16-2006, 12:47
Good Day!

Oops - forgot the Avants - sorry!

Blessings!

(signature in previous post)