PDA

View Full Version : NEWBIE questions

Stlheadake
05-13-2006, 09:13
Hello, I just got my new truck and I have a few questions. I have just under a thousand miles on it (in just two weeks!). How long do I need to wait before I upgrade the exhaust? Which exhaust is a whole different thread I know.

My biggest question is this, I drive approximately 5 miles one way to work. I try to start the truck and let it idle for about 10-15 minutes before I go. I am worried that the short distance drive may not let it warm up enough and I might somehow be harming the engine. Is this just paranoia, or does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

Scott.

Mark Rinker
05-13-2006, 11:14
Welcome aboard!!!

I think you could upgrade the exhaust anytime you are ready.

My opinion is unless it is cold out (<30 degrees F) you don't need to idle it until warm. Just enough time to get the oil pressure up and don't hammer it unless its warm.

silverback
05-13-2006, 15:49
Scott,
I don't recall exactly but I think I waited until I had the Chevy recommeded break-in miles before I upgraded the exhaust. I know we had completed at least one towing trip. It probably took me that long to decide which one I wanted anyway.
-Ken

jbplock
05-13-2006, 16:43
... My biggest question is this, I drive approximately 5 miles one way to work. I try to start the truck and let it idle for about 10-15 minutes before I go. I am worried that the short distance drive may not let it warm up enough and I might somehow be harming the engine. Is this just paranoia, or does anyone have any thoughts? Scott.

Scott,

Welcome to the site and congratulations on your new ride

Mark Rinker
05-14-2006, 10:07
Off your questions, but DON'T neglect to change your rear end lube after only 500-1000 miles. Lots of heat and metal shavings generated during gear break-in.

Most do two or three quick initial engine oil/filter changes at 500, 1000, 3000 miles on a brand new engine.

We do OEM air filter, fuel filter, and spin-on tranny filter every 10K. Cheap insurance.

mark45678
05-14-2006, 10:25
I ecko exactly what Mark Rinker has said already. Run it easy for the first 500 miles , then drive it as hard as you want ! CHange your fluids ASAP (rear end, trans case , motor oil) , it wouldnt hurt to change them all twice and before you get 3000 miles on it. It was really conserned the first time I dropped the rearend fluid in my 2001 , it was much cleaner the 2nd change. IMHO its important to get a heavy tow on the rear before its 2nd oil change , just to load it up hard on coast and drive side of the ring and pinion. Motor oils help flush out silica from when the block was cast , silica is a abrasive !

Stlheadake
05-14-2006, 18:55
Off your questions, but DON'T neglect to change your rear end lube after only 500-1000 miles. Lots of heat and metal shavings generated during gear break-in.

Most do two or three quick initial engine oil/filter changes at 500, 1000, 3000 miles on a brand new engine.

We do OEM air filter, fuel filter, and spin-on tranny filter every 10K. Cheap insurance.

OK, I KNOW I read SOMEWHERE that I should do a complete change of ALL lubricants at 2K miles! How bad have I screwed up by waiting this long? I picked the truck up with 300 miles on it two weeks ago. I just hit a grand today.

Should I change all the fluids now and then again in 1000 miles when he will have 2000 miles on the clock? I hope I haven't waited too long, I am now very scared!

THANKS for the suggestions,

Scott

Mark Rinker
05-14-2006, 19:26
I'd focus on the rear end lube and engine oil first.

No need to panic. These are measures well beyond factory requirements.

Read your manual, and then consider what we are suggesting...RELAX have fun!

Stlheadake
05-14-2006, 20:32
Thanks Mark, I do feel better. I have been 'waiting' for 2K miles to "git 'er dun". I'm going to order the fumoto plug and get to work on the oil now. For what it's worth, the engine oil looks new still. I know that the metal can be microscopic, but I would have thought that it would have been dirtier for a new truck.

Are you ok with using diesel ok store brand oil for the next thousand? I won't skip on the filter, but I can't see buying good oil for only a thousand miles.

Scott

I'd focus on the rear end lube and engine oil first.

No need to panic. These are measures well beyond factory requirements.

Read your manual, and then consider what we are suggesting...RELAX have fun!

Mark Rinker
05-15-2006, 17:19
I am sure you'd be fine - but why chance it? I'd go with a quality petroleum based diesel oil that meets all the specs outlined in your owners manual.

Break-in of your rings and oil seals is paramount to engine longevity. Why save a few bucks on a cheap oil?

DFDureiko
06-01-2006, 13:01
We just bought an '01 Duramax 2wd, extended cab shortbed. 47,000 miles. We have GM certified 3,000mile/3month warrenty. We definitly won't go over 3,000 in three months. Anything I should look for during the three months. First thing I thought I'd do is put cardboard on the garage floor and check for leaks, as I have read hear the Allison is prone to leaks? anthing else?
We are only using it to pull a 9800lb Airstream for recreational use, otherwise it sit's in the garage.
I know it's important to change the fuel filter every 15,000miles or 1year. but considering we travel with it, and will be different fuel soucrces, I"m wondering about the aux fuel filters? As reading that the injection system is sort of high strung?
Also swiching all the fluids over to Amsoil. before towing to FL in November.
I' also figure twice a year oil changes, spring and fall. or 5,000miles which ever comes first?
thanks for any advice or imput.
Dan
North Franklin, CT

More Power
06-01-2006, 13:31
Welcome to the board!

Anything I should look for during the three months?

Drive it...

I have read hear the Allison is prone to leaks?

There was a run of Allisons produced before mid 2003 that developed leaks due to a porosity issue that was cured by using copper washers under a couple of the bolts behind the torque converter. This was an issue that affected a relatively small number of trucks. You can read more about it in a Member Area article we produced a while back concerning Allison ATF Leaks (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/duramax/atfleak.htm). The Allison in my 2001 GMC never leaked.

I"m wondering about the aux fuel filters? As reading that the injection system is sort of high strung?

Not sure what High Strung means, but if you're concerned about fuel quality, then an auxiliary fuel filter might be a good idea. Most owners of Duramax equipped trucks don't use one. However, if the fuel you have access to has quality issues (particle contamination, algae or water), I'd add an aux filter. If you're running just the factory filter, change it at 10K unless you have a Fuel Restriction Gauge (http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/jkfuelpressure.htm), which is useful to help you determine service intervals.

Twice a year or 5K miles is fine for most oil drain intervals. Unless you live in a dusty or damp environment, the oil darkens to opaque, or the truck is frequently used for short trips that doesn't always allow the engine to come up to operating temperature.

Jim