PDA

View Full Version : New Tahoe

Nic
12-23-2005, 02:52
I recently bought my first Diesel. 1998 6.5TD 2dr Tahoe with 91000mi. I found it in Bremerton, Washington. The dealer got it from a WA state government auction. I paid 6000 for it and so far have replaced my starter, changed the oil, done a radioator flush, and trans fluid and filter change. Being a former govvie it is pretty stipped down inside and has some scratches and what not but other than that it is pretty good. It also has no towing package which I felt was a good thing knowing wasn't getting a lot of work put to it. The first Tank got me 15Mi/Gal should I be getting more? What else as far as maint. should I pay close attention to now that it will be turning 100000mi. The engine feels really strong and healthy no hesitation starts from dead cold easily. Also what is the best Gauge cluster kit out there? I would like 3 gauges, boost, EGT, and Trans tempature. One last question, What is anyones thoughts on the Tahoe being a former government vehicle and weather it was broken in properly? Thanks for all your input in advance.

DA BIG ONE
12-23-2005, 03:45
Originally posted by Nic:
I recently bought my first Diesel. 1998 6.5TD 2dr Tahoe with 91000mi. I found it in Bremerton, Washington. The dealer got it from a WA state government auction. I paid 6000 for it and so far have replaced my starter, changed the oil, done a radioator flush, and trans fluid and filter change. Being a former govvie it is pretty stipped down inside and has some scratches and what not but other than that it is pretty good. It also has no towing package which I felt was a good thing knowing wasn't getting a lot of work put to it. The first Tank got me 15Mi/Gal should I be getting more? What else as far as maint. should I pay close attention to now that it will be turning 100000mi. The engine feels really strong and healthy no hesitation starts from dead cold easily. Also what is the best Gauge cluster kit out there? I would like 3 gauges, boost, EGT, and Trans tempature. One last question, What is anyones thoughts on the Tahoe being a former government vehicle and weather it was broken in properly? Thanks for all your input in advance. More likely than not, former gov is ok. I'd look into intake for restrictions (install freeflow filter)and exhaust again for restrictions (CAT CONV clogged). Later on go for larger diameter freeflow exhaust.

Run a diesel additive that lubes and increases ctain levels.

Then do a top dead center relearn.

Used the proper antifreeze "the orange type"?

Synthetic fluids reduce friction in drivetrain, might want to consider.

Might want to consider a shift kit transgo off road towing works well.

Three gauge pod can be had through summit, but other suppliers have it too. Auto Meter makes a great product "gauges".

Sounds like a great bargin, enjoy!

Craig M
01-03-2006, 15:42
Re 15 mpg. Sounds ok for local driving. A full tank on the freeway at moderate top speed (ie not 75 mph) might get you a bit better mpg.

Dihrdbowti
01-04-2006, 23:18
I get 15-17 (depending on my foot) in town and 19-21 hwy. I like my Yukon although at times a truck would be nice. :D I am running Autometer Phantom gauges in a pillar mount. I like it. There is also enough room to add switches buttons etc next to the gauges if desired.

damork
01-06-2006, 18:13
If your Tahoe came with the 3.73 gears and the truck is stock, you shouldn't have trouble averaging at least 18 on the highway if you keep it around 60. I've got all the data on my truck since new, and every tank of fuel has been recorded. 18 mpg is a pretty good number for highway miles (sometimes 18.5). I am running 180F thermostats with this data. If I go back to 195's, I can top 20 mpg in the summer keeping speeds under 60 mpg (not towing).