PDA

View Full Version : Next Step...More Fuel?

jeffscarstrucks
05-16-2006, 05:23
After following this board for some time I finally added a new K&N, Turbo-master and 3 inch open exaust along with gauges to watch it all. I have the boost at about 8lbs under load and can tell that the ex temp is lower than with the stock pieces and the water temp is slower to come up than it used to be. My question: Is the next logical step to turn up the pump? I have the info on how to turn up my pump(93 mechanical) but I have read 1/8 turn, 1/6 turn, and other amounts. I do like the added power so far but I do not want to get to the point where I am worried about hurting the engine or running on the ragged edge. I feel like I have a pretty good handle on what's going on but I have a ton of respect for all of the contributors here and look forward to hearing your advice before I proceed. Thanks, JEFF

Hubert
05-16-2006, 13:53
To be conservative I would think intercooler next and boost to 10-12 psi maybe up to 14 psi peak (depending on who you ask) then more fuel. But intercooling easier said than done.

So far from my reading you have followed most people's steps.

One thought for you:
A cousin of mine had an early 90's truck and told me a long time ago when he turned up the IP he got more power but it hurt his fuel economy. I don't know if it was a heavier right foot to feel the added power or what. Intercooler would add power and not necessarily drink more fuel.

jeffscarstrucks
05-18-2006, 19:26
Any specific recommendations or experiences with different settings? Thanks, Jeff

jeffscarstrucks
05-21-2006, 21:27
I really thought I'd get some input on this question here! It would be easy to buy a new truck that comes with power built into the electronic injection but I would like to keep the old machine going since I already own it. I know there are some basic mods that will help quite a bit and I'm sure that the contributors here have run the spectrum as far as experimenting(pump) goes and I would love to hear what really makes a difference. Thanks, Jeff

Hubert
05-22-2006, 05:06
I don't have specifics on my cousin's IP turn up.

Yeah I was looking forward to some ideas.

Are you looking for 100% time power and/or also intermitent hill pulling power?

More fuel, Water/meth injection, and propane I think are it for the stock 6.5. To do any more I think you HAVE to lower compression ratio. The bang for the buck starts to decline after exhaust, intercooler, turning up the IP unless you have to rebuild anyway.

Have read about cam regrinds and a few other things but 300HP is about max reliable power out of a 6.5. Thats with new about everything.

on edit

??? "Hot diesel fuel" (extra cetane added)??? . Timing gears and timing set for power are a few other tweaks for a couple HP.

Hubert
05-22-2006, 08:37
Bump
Update your signature with current mods too so if someones sees something to mention.

What exactly is your K&N setup? A little improvement with "cold air" intake and/or w/ scoop ? IMHO just a new air element & box doesn't really add more HP especially if open element sucking hot underhood air in summer. Have you ported the upper intake like on Kennedy's tech tips? Not that I have but it is suppose to help more air flow.

Peter J. Bierman
05-22-2006, 13:11
If you are starting messing with you pump you NEED a pyrometer to monitor EGT's, for the 6.5, 1200 Deg F. is the consensus of safe, that is pre turbo!

If you are able to see what's going on, just take small steps.
Start with 1/8 if your EGT is is still good on a heavy load, go another 1/8 until you are satisfied with the results and still safe.

A warning, once you start doing this, you take great risk of getting bitten by the HP bug, and thats a expensive desease!

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

Peter

jeffscarstrucks
05-22-2006, 21:01
I do need to update my sig as it is a little different now! I do want to go up on the pump a little and the 1/8th is a good place to start...I have read that before but I wanted to hear it from someone who actually tried it. The horsepower bug is already a major factor in my house and has been for some 30 years. (see avatar...my main fun!) Thanks again to you both, JEFF