PDA

View Full Version : Trade-In/Sale Value

GMCfourX4
12-23-2005, 10:14
Just for grinns... I went to the GMC website and priced out a new DMax (ouch!) and filled in a form to see what my truck would be worth. The truck I built (fully loaded 6-speed ex-cab shortbed 4X4) came to $32,000 for the "Red Tag" price, and they gave me a range of $7900 - $9500 for my truck (see sig.). What do y'all think about the price? If the #s worked out, it'd still be a tough decision, b/c insurance and Excise tax would go WAY up (excise tax is Taxachusetts' way of taxing you for the 'priviledge' of owning a vehicle in this fine Commonwealth). Any thoughts on what the truck would be worth in a private sale? If I were to go for it, I'd be selling the Impala too (also see sig.). Thoughts, opinions?

Thanks,
-Chris

Hubert
12-23-2005, 11:01
Looks like you have a nice 6.5 package. You have a fairly rare combo ext cab 4x4 5spd chevy diesel. It took me over a year to find mine. I'd look in the local trader papers for similar trucks and see what you can sell it for. I'd say 98-99% are going to be Auto's. You have something different so market that (especially if its a factory 5spd). What you sell it for mainly depends on appearance to joe-public but there are guys out there looking for that combo truck. You can always run an ad for a week and see what happens while you are sleeping on the idea does not mean you have to go through with anything and you could still trade it in if it does not work out. It bothers me to think a dealer can sell my trade it for a couple of thousand more. I know the dealer doesn't make that much more profit after high overhead checkout/clean up/repair, and liability of used but it still bothers me.

32G sounds reasonable to me for new truck just after seeing too many stickers in the upper 30's and 40's. But then after a day or two and I go over finances 32G is too high for me. All depends on YOUR budget.

Bad thing seems to me that the market value of the 6.5 dropped way off with the success of the 6.6. So that trade in value might be fair since its difficult to recoupe added value in performance add ons.

DmaxMaverick
12-23-2005, 11:17
Which 6 speed?

If you opt for the stick, you'll get much lower standard power levels, spec'd as an LLY, rather than the more powerful LBZ.

Don't count out the Allison, even if you are a die-hard handshaker. The new Allison allows manual shifting via up/down buttons on the shifter, in Manual mode. It also offer a much higher geared (.61, vs .71) double overdrive. The Allison tranny has proven itself over the years in these trucks. There have been issues, but they are rare.

That price sounds excellent. You will usually do much better selling your old truck. Try pricing it at www.kbb.com (http://www.kbb.com) or www.edmonds.com (http://www.edmonds.com) . If you were closer to me, I'd be very interested. Try the TDP Classified Ad Forum (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=19), or TDP Classified Ads (http://www.thedieselpage.com/classad.htm). Several trucks sold through them, and you'll sleep better knowing it's getting into good hands.

These new trucks have a lot to offer, despite the $$. If the figures work for you, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Taxes?? CA is no better, but we pay the price for the "privelege". Moving is not an option....Yet.

GMCfourX4
12-23-2005, 11:34
Thanks for the input so far. The truck I spec'd out was a 6-speed manual (forgot you have to specify that on the new ones). I AM a die-hard "handshaker" and I just don't like having a vehicle shift for me... I just prefer it :) I looked long and hard to find the truck I have (I had to drive to WV to get it....). Its a Silverado, so it has PW, PDL, AC, cruise, etc. I have added heated seats out of a '99 Sub, a locker, Cummins intercooler (still not connected though), guages, hih-pop injectors, and the list of new parts (within the last month) is quite long. I have always planned to keep the truck, but with a fully loaded DMax @ $32K, and the possibility of selling my truck and the Impala for a reasonable price, it's VERY tempting. Especially since I'd have a warranty. If someone made me a good offer on my truck, I'd be willing to deliver it at cost within a 12-hour ride. Any other thoughts?

-Chris

GMCfourX4
12-23-2005, 11:50
I guess I should be more specific on what's been done to the truck (so y'all can get an accurate picture...).

The engine has Heath high-pop injectors (done this spring), Heath boost controller (mechanical), Kennedy electronic boost fooler, EGT gauge, boost gauge, and factory '99 ECM program (puts out about 80mm fuel at WOT). Vacuum pump removed (got a shorter belt).

New/rebuilt parts in the last month:
Timing chain, hydroboost, P/S pump, H/D swaybar links, swaybar bushings, Bilstein shocks, Zoom kevlar clutch (b/c the spring hub wore out on the old clutch), clutch master cylinder, oil cooler lines, oil pan (the old one had some rust on it), rear main seal, waterpump, rad. hoses, heater box (the distribution part, the old one wore out), heater fan switch and connector pigtail (soldered), driver's door pin switch, and probably some other things I'm forgetting.

-Chris

Marty Lau
12-23-2005, 13:31
More Power lets members post adds in the Classified section free and a number of trucks have been sold over the years from that section. Just send him a e-mail with the details, also he may suggest a asking price.

Also did I miss how many miles??? What is the axel ratio?

GMCfourX4
12-23-2005, 18:42
Sorry, on a different site, I have the mileage posted in my sig... The truck has 159,000 and change, with 3.73 gears. I actually found my truck in the Classifieds here, the reason I posted in this section was to try to get an idea what the truck might be worth so I can decide whether to pursue the DMax. I know what the book value is for trade-in, but I paid more than the book price when I bought the truck b/c it is a rare option set, and was exactly what I was looking for. Also, the book does not take into account some of the things I have done to the truck that a member here would recognize and appreciate (boost mods, Bilsteins, etc...).

Thanks for the input so far.

-Chris