PDA

View Full Version : Extended life grease: Anyone use it?

nlp
05-16-2006, 08:06
I was reading an article online yesterday about extended life greases that allow big rigs to go 25,000+ without additional maintenance. Seems like Citgo, Mobil Delvac, Shell/Texaco all made extended life greases.
Has anyone used these? I hate greasing all 11 fittings, this may save some time and effort. Where can you buy this stuff? I can buy Mobil 1 grease from Autozone or Advance but I don't think it's "Extended life."

Inspector
05-16-2006, 10:22
In my opinion the heavy duty greases available synthetic or otherwise are good to use. Some may wash out, others stick pretty good. Again my opinion is that no mater what you use it has to be used on a regular basis.
Grease tends to get dirty because of the enviroment that it is in. Constantly exposed to the elements, dusty dirt roads, off road you can see what I mean.
Also grease due to the movement of the joints that it is used in tends to be displaced. For that reason extending a grease job just because it says that it is an extended service grease just doesn't convince me. I grease my vehicles everytime I change the oil. I'm already there so why not. Just a couple of pumps to replaced the grease that was displaced with normal movement of the joints. I also wipe off any excess grease from the joints and zerk fittings to help not to collect dirt.
Just my opinion.
Denny

nlp
05-16-2006, 18:01
OK, just greased all 11 fittings and found that a couple of the dust boots were flat (pancaked). It's been about 15,000 mi since I lubed all of them. The flat ones didn't balloon back up like I expected. Did I ruin something? Is there anyway to get them to fill with grease? Should I use a thicker/tackier grease?
What type of grease are you guys using? I'm using Amsoil waterproof grease, made for boat trailer wheel bearings.

LanduytG
05-16-2006, 18:36
OK, just greased all 11 fittings and found that a couple of the dust boots were flat (pancaked). It's been about 15,000 mi since I lubed all of them. The flat ones didn't balloon back up like I expected. Did I ruin something? Is there anyway to get them to fill with grease? Should I use a thicker/tackier grease?
What type of grease are you guys using? I'm using Amsoil waterproof grease, made for boat trailer wheel bearings.

The Water Resistant grease is not heavy enough for the chassis. Use the Amsoil Heavy Duty #2 grease. It will hold up and last much longer.

Greg