PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 speed cutoff. How do I get rid of this?

graf
05-16-2006, 12:56
I just bought a 1997 suburban with a 6.5 turbo diesel and at 100 MPH the speed cuts off. I understand there is a different chip or other modification that eliminates this. Any advise?

I would also like to be able to keep the headlights off during the day, how do I do this, so the lights only go on when I turn them on?

Thanks for any info

Robyn
05-17-2006, 06:31
My first question is why does one need to drive a Suburban at 100MPH let alone faster?
I believe that the engine redline has probably been reached by that time too.

Chris611
05-17-2006, 07:05
Don't know about the speed limiter, but as for the Daytime Running Lights (DRL), there should be a fuse in the fuse block on the side of the dash that is exposed when you open the door. In there is a fuse labeled DRL (or something like that). If you pull that, it will disable the DRL's

Later
Chris

Kennedy
05-17-2006, 10:29
This would require a performance recalibrated ECM (aka chip) like we sell under 6.5 Performance on my site.

16gaSxS
05-17-2006, 11:54
My first question is why does one need to drive a Suburban at 100MPH let alone faster?
I believe that the engine redline has probably been reached by that time too.

Depends on gearing!!!!:D

Robyn
05-17-2006, 18:47
yes gearing would for sure make all the difference in the world.
I remember when my 95 diesel sub was new and I decided to give it a go and see what the little diesel rat could do.
Well I got it up to about 95 and the bloody thing was howling like a banshee, and I decided right there that to go an more was going to require some very large Cahonas as mine were starting to cut out.
Nothing personal here just an observation. :0)
I do believe that the aftermarket chip would be the way to go if you are looking to take your Burb to Warp speed.
I have a friend who runs a PeterBilt cross country and has a 600 cat in it that has been outlawed a bit and I know it will make the world really go by fast.
Good luck
Robyn