PDA

View Full Version : What ya paying for Nitrous?

More Power
05-16-2006, 15:31
Just got back from the speed shop.... I thought $3/gal diesel fuel was high... They're charging $5/lb now for nitrous... :eek:

Jim

Kennedy
05-17-2006, 10:18
Yeah, but if they're only making a buck a gallon, that's only $10 or $15 profit to drop everything and fill it. There's also some time involved with chilling bottle etc.

I bought (am in the process of) a filling station and after having my bottles filled have no desire to fill for others...

BMDMAX
05-18-2006, 05:14
Just got back from the speed shop.... I thought $3/gal diesel fuel was high... They're charging $5/lb now for nitrous... :eek:

Jim

That's odd. I have not seen any increase in N20 prices lately. I don't know what would be driving up cost so much unless demand is really high in your area.

Mine is still running me three bucks a pound, sometimes I can find it for 2.50 a pound if I am really lucky.

I figure you would have $1,200 bucks tied up in a pump station, scale, freezer and misc. hoses / fittings to DIY.

About 27 full bottle fills to break even so it just depends on how easy it is to find locally and how much you are planning on racing.

Kennedy
05-18-2006, 05:57
You'd also have to check with someone who fills as to how much product loss occurs per cylinder. You can't get it all out of the cyliner as I understand.

I think I was paying $4. I bought a cylinder and forget how much a pound, but I think it was around $3/lb.

Once I get to filling, I'll log lb out of the main cylinder and see how much I can get out...