PDA

View Full Version : my dmax needs low sulphur diesel ?

hapaschold
05-16-2006, 16:53
saw on the fuel fill, low sulphur diesel ONLY .......

asked 3 differant stations, asked if what they were pumping was lsd......got 3 blank looks............ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

any thoughts ?

i notice , will idling after 3 , 4 minutes or so, a constant plume of white smoke.......but nothing much after hitting the road again......

DmaxMaverick
05-16-2006, 17:08
If you are filling up at a "normal" fueling station, you will get LSD (not the acid kind), or ULSD (the U is for Ultra). Fuel retailers can not, legally, sell you any fuel with a sulpher content above that. This applies to US and Canada. Some "fuel oil" will still have the higher sulpher content, but is not legal for use on the highway. Your white smoke is not related to the "grade" of fuel you are pumping, but may have something to do with the quality.

hapaschold
05-16-2006, 17:22
thanks for fast reply,,,,,,,,,,,,,these stations are clueless.......wonder why pumps are not marked LSD........

white smoke, i didnt notice this first couple tanks..... got this tank from mobile station.......

white smoke = low quality ?????????

thanks again........i dont want problems that dealer will blame on fuel used.

More Power
05-16-2006, 17:31
As the story goes.... The fuel companies will begin producing 2007 EPA diesel fuel next month in time for widespread distribution by September (when the regs go into effect). This'll be the lowest concentration of sulfur we've seen here in the US.

Not to worry, the Bosch fuel injection system was designed for it. The word is still out for the earlier fuel-lubricated rotary pumps (like Stanadyne DB & DS series), and whether 6.2/6.5 owners will be negatively affected.

At this time "lubricity" may or may not be a defined diesel fuel quality, and have its own ASTM standards requirement. I hope it will.....

Jim

Albee
05-16-2006, 17:56
So then the Bosch fuel system does not rely on lubrication from the fuel? Is that a correct statement? If so, I did not know that. I always have heard you need additives to add lubrication to the fuel system or the pump will fail much earlier than before. Thanks.

More Power
05-16-2006, 18:18
All fuel injection pumps can be more or less fuel-lubricated in some way. The P7100 fuel injection pump used by the early 12V Cummins is an example of an oil lubed pump, but the pistons and valving are still fuel-lubricated.

I was referring to the "fuel-lubricated rotary pumps" or distributor pumps. These are generally more sensitive to fuel lubricity.

As a point of interest, I'd heard some years ago that many 6.2/6.5 owners in Sweden (Sweden leads in low sulfur, low lubricity diesel fuel) add a qt of 30W to every tank of fuel, as a way to improve lubricity. Not that I'm recommending it....

Jim

jbplock
05-17-2006, 01:01
Here's an interesting paper from Bosch on this subject ...

Diesel Fuel Lubricity-
Requirements for Light Duty Fuel Injection Equipment (http://www.arb.ca.gov/fuels/gasoline/meeting/2003/022003bosch.pdf) ...

More info on Clean Diesel here ...

Diesel Technology Forum (http://www.dieselforum.org/policy-insider/cleaner-fuels-cleaner-engines/)

:)

hapaschold
05-17-2006, 03:33
i guess its time to put additive in my 350sdl diesel benz, even thou it has a bosch fuel system also, it s a 1991....i guess wifes 99 diesel also....

once ULSD hits , it that replacing LSD ??? or in addition to LSD ?

Kennedy
05-17-2006, 09:14
I'm a firm believer in FPPF Total Power, but one thing I've been told is that a B5 bio fuel should take care of your lubricity needs also. I prefer both personally...

hapaschold
05-18-2006, 03:03
ok, dumb question , confusion setting in,

so we ll end up with 2 grades of diesel ?
LSD & ULSD ????

DmaxMaverick
05-18-2006, 03:44
No. Once the federal mandate goes into effect, there will only be ULSD.

hapaschold
05-18-2006, 16:43
ahhh, now i get it.............will the dmax handle ULSD without any problems? or will additives be needed ?

what about the older diesels? benz, psd s?

DmaxMaverick
05-18-2006, 17:09
I am of the opinion a good additive is always beneficial. As long as you use a known good additive that does what you want it to, you can't go wrong. It is a good idea to use one with, or add, cetane booster. I've always recovered my cost of the additive with the mileage improvement. Unfortunately, this is testement to the poor quality of US fuels. I've always used additives in one form or another with all of my Diesels....Since I can remember, anyway.

kerryw
05-18-2006, 19:17
we have low sulfur fuel here in calgary ,also two grades for tempature ,have run with litle problem change fuel filtre at every oil change and use fpfe conditioner as well also j.k mega filtre . touch wood no problems in 180.000 kms.

Craig M
05-19-2006, 10:35
Attended a meeting with some Oil company technicians last week. They are starting the Utra as we talk. They figure it takes 3 tanks fulls to get down to the required ppm of sulfer. They figure you get about 80% of the tank empty each time. The manufcturers actually will produce the fuel at about half the ppm required at the pump. Between pipeline, distributers etc, once we get it in our trucks it will be close the the max required ppm for sulfur. The manufactures, then distributers, then consumers all are "switching" to the ultra fuel. There will not be two types of diesel available. All will be ultra low sulfur. No draining of tanks will be required. Just put in the new fuel.

SS396
05-19-2006, 12:41
The Shell station I use has a label saying the fuel is not to be used in 2007 and newer.

That is because the fuel is Low Sulphur (500 ppm) and 2007 and newer vehicles can not use it for vehicle emisson control reasons.

I believe there is a particulate (sp?) filter (or what ever they call it) on the exhaust, I assume sulphur would plug it.

The label will be removed once the fuel is transitioned to Ultra Low.

I have always used FPPF Total Power, so I am good to go.