PDA

View Full Version : Wits end... I'm stumped, don't know what else to do...

john8662
05-16-2006, 21:22
I've had a pretty good project working on rebuilding my own engine with the '86.

Originally rebuilt the engine due to "ticking" and throwing two sets of lifters at it, because when the covers were removed, several wouldn't keep their prime.

During tear down I discovered two bad cam bearings... So, that's what was causing it, low oil psi where it matters for lifters right?

Well the new engine is built, got almost 500 miles on it with a Banks turbo now (you don't wanna know about the turbo troubles I've been fighting)!

Anyways, I've got this tick see, and I started thinking, it's an exhaust leak, because I've had a few thanks to the local exhaust shop making my custom exhaust system. Got all the leaks fixed, I've even had the manifolds off again, to install gaskets (I never use exhaust gaskets, no need for em) just in case. The sound is like either an exhaust hiss or valve train noise. I can't decifer!

Here is the catch, only really heard in the cab (or head hanging out the window) when you're accelerating, approximatly 1,500 RPM up. I really don't hear it (but, do hear other tickings) at idle. Gonna make some recordings soon, for a listen.

Here is what was done to the engine, maybe I missed something...

As far as the valve train service I replaced all the rockers/shafts and added new lifters. The heads had a complete valve job and a shaving to correct untrue surface. New guides in the head, and springs were checked for correct pressure. The original pushrods were re-used and glass-plated to see how straight they were. They were not measured for length (couldn't come up with a way to do that).

I'll admit it, if there was a good place to drive something off of, I would have considered it...

What things have you done to resolve ticking noises?!?!

I can't figure it out, and it's bugging me to death! Anything you can throw out there will be considered! Well except for Chupacabra's underneath!

J

DmaxMaverick
05-16-2006, 22:02
Check your injector lines. If ANYTHING is making contact with one (other than an isolator/clamp), the injector pulse will resonate to the chassis, and can get quite amplified.

Oil pumps and mechanical fuel pumps can also tick. Mechanical fuel pump push rods can bounce off the cam lobe, and can also slap the hole, if it gets sloppy enough.

Check the timing cover. If it has a dent in it, the chain can slap on it.

Lost parts in the in.......Oops. You already know about that one.

Motor mounts?

Pulleys?

The list goes on.......

john8662
05-16-2006, 23:08
Engine runs strong and even, so I'm at a loss, just need someone else to shine a light in the right direction.

Hmm...

I'll sure look closely at the injector lines. Been contemplating getting another set of lines, this time off a 6.2 van to better match the short body injectors in the holes now.

Ha Ha Ha, nice one on the stuff down the in.... :rolleyes:

In the mean time, I'll drive it like I stole it...

New balancer, New crank pulley, New engine mounts... Timing gears installed (yeah they make noise), clearance checked during assembly, TONS Of clearance (maybe a bit too much, nothing to compare to).

Keep em coming, I'm still thinking it has to be something simple that I've overlooked!!!

Warren96
05-17-2006, 06:39
I cant hear the gear noise on mine, so I might be the wrong person to make a suggestion on what might be ticking, but like you said I dont have anything to compare it to. But, before you push it over the proverbial cliff,does the '86 have the quick disconnect on the coolant crossover pipe that goes to the heater core???When I bent mine too far down it touched the intake and made a horrible tcking noise in the cab.I thought it was about to throw a rod! How about a picture it sounds like you did a lot of work on it!

john8662
05-17-2006, 11:26
Warren,

Did somebody say picture?

Sure!

http://members.cox.net/acmdsl/www/truck/Banksenginepic.jpg

jonflies
05-26-2006, 14:38
John,

Nice pictures. Check your private messages. I sent you a question based on one of your replies to my IP problem.

Thanks
jonflies

gmctd
06-02-2006, 11:01
Pull that red "boom-box" tick-amplifier offa the intake, see what you got - and it ain't yer timin' gearset, believe me.