PDA

View Full Version : Injector Control DTC's & other questions

More Power
05-17-2006, 12:55
Truck-2004 chevy duramax LLY motor with the Edge system

1. I am installing a four inch exhaust from the turbo back, removing the cat, will I have any problems or trip the check engine light?

2. After the dealer told me twice that I needed to re-program the computer since I changed the tire size from 245/75R16 to 265/75R16, I left the truck with the dealer and then they said that you can not re-program the Diesel trucks. What do you think?

3. Towing my trailer home from Reno, up a steep grade, I saw that my trans. temp. was about 340, EGT was about 1230 to 1300 so I pulled into a rest stop and shut the motor off and waited about 20 min. or so. When I started to go I lost most of the power from the engine and the Edge shut off. After 30 min. I restarted and the check engine light was on, truck and edge were ok and still runs fine. We pulled codes, P1223, P1232, P1238 and P1241. Did my truck just go into a limp mode? Reset codes and away we went. Thanks for your help.
J Rock

Hi J Rock,

Some trucks set EGR codes when the exhaust system is opened up with larger pipes and no cat. www.kennedydiesel.com (http://www.kennedydiesel.com) has a solution to that problem.

See the following article concerning tire size changes.
http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/tires-editorial.htm

The high trans temps you were seeing were likely caused by transmission slippage and running with an unlocked torque converter. You should always run in Tow/Haul mode when towing heavy and/or trans temps climb above 210. This locks the torque converter in 2nd through 5th, and can really lower temperatures. Fluid doesn't live long at over 300 degrees. Might be a good time to change it.

P1223 (cyl #1), P1226 (cyl #2), P1229 (cyl #3), P1232 (cyl #4) , P1235 (cyl #5), P1238 (cyl #6), P1241 (cyl #7) or P1244 (cyl #8)

These codes indicate that the ECM detected the "command state" and the actual state of the injector control circuit(s) didn't match. And, that the condition existed for less than 1 second. A freeze-frame of this condition was recorded and stored in the DTC history (could be retrieved by your dealer).

I suspect that since the condition cleared, it may have been due to heat soaking after the hot shut-down. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it unless it turns up again. If it repeats, remove the Edge module, to test whether it has an effect (or might be the cause).

Jim