PDA

View Full Version : LBZ air filter

WILLYD-MAX
05-17-2006, 14:44
I am servicing and maintaining my buddy's lbz and I had some ?? regarding the air filter. Are their after market cleanable filters available? Is the stock filter good for 10k..15k..20k? It looks like a quality filter. Any suggestions appreciated.

More Power
05-17-2006, 16:23
The factory paper air filter is actually pretty good. The restriction gauge on the air box can help the owner decide when to replace it. More info can be found in his owner's manual.

Aftermarket air filters..... There are lots of opinions - and many have opposing views on oiled gauze or oiled foam. Some feel the factory paper filter actually traps dirt better than "any" aftermarket filter. I'm not one of them... ;)

I prefer the oiled foam varieties. Click the "Product Reviews" link in my sig to learn more. Oiled foam filters are far easier to clean and re-oil than gauze, and I feel do a better job trapping dirt (based on my own tests).

In the end, whatever filter might be best (for trapping dirt) for you in your situation depends on what you learn after having the engine oil analyzed - looking for silicon in parts per million. Good filters produce single digit concentrations after 3-4K miles of use, but a lot depends on the conditions the truck is driven in.

Jim

Tacklewasher
05-18-2006, 09:27
http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

I'm dumping my K&N and going back to stock.