PDA

View Full Version : Can I jumper my EGR solenoids to elimate my intermintant SES light?

fastcat800
05-18-2006, 09:51
I have replaced my EGR manifold with one from a one ton and been looking at my intermintant ses light for over a year now. When I read the codes it is an EGR fault but it's been a while so I don't remeber the numbers. I evidently have a bad EGR solenoid as I was throwing the same codes before I changed the intake too. I don't want to waste the money to buy both solenoids (I don't know which one is bad) to fix the problem. Is there a way to jumper the solenoids to fool the ECU into thinking the EGR solenoids are working?

JohnC
05-18-2006, 14:20
Put an L65 chip in it.

Or, plug the line that went to the EGR valve and leave the solenoids and MAP sensor connected. If everything is working correctly, it should trick it. The L65 chip gives more power....

Warren96
05-19-2006, 06:00
I may not know the emission regulations in your state,but modificationsto the components that control the emissions on an engine can cause some raised eyebrows at my bi-yearly required inspections in my state.From time to time there have even been roadside checks to be sure these devices are in place on your truck.In my best Elmer Fudd voice.....''Be veeerrryyy careful wabbit!!!!!''

fastcat800
05-22-2006, 11:31
The vacuum lines are all plugged. I m not buying a chip as I don't have the money or need more power. I am looking for a jumper wire fix to save the money of buying new solenoids. We no longer have inspections in Minnesota and we never had anyone smart enough doing inspections to see the change I made.

JohnC
05-22-2006, 13:49
The vacuum lines are all plugged. I m not buying a chip as I don't have the money or need more power. I am looking for a jumper wire fix to save the money of buying new solenoids.

There's no way to fix it with a jumper wire. The PCM monitors the MAP sensor looking for the correct vacuum being applied to the EGR valve. You can eliminate the EGR valve as long as the solenoids and MAP sensor are working and connected.

An L65 chip shouldn't cost much. You may be able to pick one up at a junk yard. I just sold one for $25.

fastcat800
05-23-2006, 09:15
Sorry John, I thought an L65 chip was aftermarket. You must be talking about one out of a 1 ton. That's the kind of answer I was looking for. Thank you. Will any L65 chip work? Does it have to be from a '94 only? When I get one should I remove the solenoid valves or just leave them in with the lines plugged?

JohnC
05-23-2006, 14:29
>>Will any L65 chip work?

Simple answer, no. I'm not sure if a '95 will work; I suspect it will but can't say for sure. John Kennedy could probably answer that one. Read on. In 94 there were a couple of variations between chips and injection pumps. I think an updated chip will work wih an updated pump but I'm not sure about the other variations. I'd be surprised if there were any non-updated trucks out there, but rumour has it there are.

>>Is the number printed on the chip?

There are numbers on the chips but I don't know how critical they are. I was running a chip from a '95 suburban L65 in my '95 L56 pickup.

>>When I get one should I remove the solenoid valves or just leave them in with the lines plugged?

Doesn't matter. The L65 chip doesn't ever look at them or attempt to control them. It does, however, look at the MAP sensor, so you want to remove the vacuum line from it.

JDave
05-24-2006, 09:45
I updated my chip with one from Bill Heath and eliminated the light, but it cost me $200, IIRC.

fastcat800
05-24-2006, 11:26
My pump has a date of 6/2/01 engraved on it. I know it has a newer motor in it as when I bought 1 1/2 yrs ago it it only had 35K on the new motor. The guy died so I have no way of finding any more info about the truck, If the pump was change about 6/01 would that be the updated pump?