PDA

View Full Version : OH NO! I see black exhaust smoke in a moderate pull

cowboywildbill
05-18-2006, 12:32
I can get my truck to blow a little black smoke if I nail it, and especially if I'm towing, but it only last for a couple of seconds and then clears up, and that's normal. I have 62,000 miles on the truck, it has never limped or thrown a code.
Now here is what just started happening if I'm towing and I am in a moderate pull (not flooring it just about half throttle) I am getting a fair amount of black smoke. I have no codes or drivability issues, the truck runs and pulls fine. But I have noticed just a little rough idle lately sometimes. I do notice a little more soot in the tail pipe now. I have clean fuel and filter and a clean stock air filter also. My oil looks fine and is at the proper level. Also oil psi is normal.If this is an injector failure and it just started, I guess I wouldn't have the dillution problems until I run it for a while. I run the total power treatment from JK. I called three dealers in my area, and they all said about the same story. And that it is normal for the trucks to smoke a little under a slight pull when they have over 60,000 miles on them. They said they would not check the injectors under warranty unless it throws a code or runs so bad that you wouldn't want to drive it. They said that the trucks always throw a code when the injectors fail, I thought I read that that isn't always so. One dealer said they charge $250.00 to check the injectors, and they might deduct the charge if there were a problem and a repair was indicated under warranty.
We are getting ready to go on about a 1200 mile round trip towing our fifth wheel in a few day's. I really don't want to get out of town and have the dreaded injector issue and be at the mercy of an out of state dealer and warranty. Any input would be appreciated.

More Power
05-18-2006, 15:06
An injector balance test could show whether one of more injectors are outside the norm. This test can be performed using either a Tech II scan tool or a Predator Programmer in just a few minutes.

As an aside, smoke seen at night (i.e. in the headlights of cars behind you) or under unusual lighting conditions can appear more dark than it would otherwise.

Jim

SoTxPollock
05-19-2006, 13:12
COWBOYWILDBILL, my 02 has a little over 78,000 and I've noticed that if I drive it easy and don't load the engine fairly hard for a week or so that when I do it blows black smoke when I tow for a short while, but after I stand on it a couple of times it clears up. I attribute that to a build up of soot in the exhaust system and all I've really done it blow that soot out the pipe. It does blacken the pipe outlet more when I do that. After that is doesn't blow any black smoke. I suggest a heavy dose of additive in the next tank and go on and clean out the engine. If it continues to be a problem, find someone with a scan 2 and offer to buy the drinks while they check out the injector balance. Best of luck on the trip.

cowboywildbill
05-19-2006, 16:37
Thanks for the replys. I drove it again the other day and it seemed normal again. Maybe it did just need a good blowing out.I took it in for my free filter and cables. They said it seemed fine, but they didn't test anything. I'll just run it and check the oil often. Thanks again.

34 M
05-26-2006, 18:05
I had similar problem 03 LB7. Mileage on my truck was around where yours is except my black smoke would only happen when pulling a trailler. The truck ran great. Than it started to have trouble starting, still ran great once it was running. Than winter rolled around than it would barely start even when it was plugged in. Took it to the dealer they checked it out needed 8 injectors that fixed the problem. Just in case you don't know injector in the LB7 can fracture and leak fuel in to the engine oil.

cowboywildbill
05-31-2006, 11:57
Thanks, We just got back from a 1350 mile trip to the Smokie Mountains towing 13,000 fifth wheel.
Truck ran great, no smoke & no fuel in the oil so far. I really keep an eye on it.