PDA

View Full Version : Water Pump Woes

PLUMMER
05-18-2006, 15:45
Well heres the story,,,,,, lost serpintine belt on highway at 65mph. coasted to a stop shortly there after. Noticed a thump and caught it quickly, when all power steering ,brakes and accessories went. coolant temp 165. Put new belt on and notice coolant dribbling from behind center pulley, I drive 2 miles to a friends house and look for leaks, temp 158. No leaks now, I then come home 8 miles and look for more fluid....NONE ???? HHMMMM. Well now just in case I am replacing the water pump if that was coolant coming from the weep hole. Napa new pump. A total of 40 miles since the belt went and still no leaks, coolant level was just below the fill line and temps never go over 168 degrees. I am wondering how difficult it will be to replace the water pump in a 2001 GMC savana work van 1 ton. I talked to a good diesel GM mechanic from Indiana and he seems to think 5-6 hours (as he hasn't worked on a van before) Not that common I guess. What should normal operating temps be ? The truck has 150k miles and doesn't tow at all, it also hasn't ever been over 175 degrees in coolant temp. Thanks for any help or input in advance.

DmaxMaverick
05-18-2006, 16:22
I wouldn't worry about it. When the water pump goes from full speed, to dead stop, there is considerable inertia built up in the coolant. When it, all of a sudden, has no where to go, it will find the path of least resistance. That path is the seal, and the shaft getting suddenly shifted from load to no load will add to the coolant's ability to get around it. That doesn't mean the seal is blown, it just got bypassed for that pressure surge. If you haven't had any coolant leakage since, don't sweat it. If you still feel uncomfortable, visit the dealer and get some "Cadilac" coolant conditioning pills.

PLUMMER
05-18-2006, 19:19
Cadilac ? coolant pills ????????? Are you saying , the pump is not bad ? am I wasting my time changing it out ? Thanks

stingthieves
05-19-2006, 09:29
If you still feel uncomfortable, visit the dealer and get some "Cadilac" coolant conditioning pills.
Bars Stop Leak part number "HDC"

damork
05-21-2006, 07:18
I used to buy several parts from NAPA and worked in a shop where they were our main supplier for water pumps, alternators, etc. I followed through with my own vehicles and have recently had several problems - water pumps not making it a year, alternators DOA. I installed a new NAPA water pump on my wife's truck and it was leaking in less than 6 months, they gave me a new one on warranty but that one is for sale. Now I stay with GM OEM new products and so far so good.

Patrick m.
05-21-2006, 08:19
water pumps can act just like you describe, leak one minute, and not the next.
I have seen them do this for several months before complete failure. This doesnt mean they cant go longer, but i wouldnt risk it.
I would pick the best time i have and replace it then.

If you wait, the worst could happen, temps climb before the driver notices.

PLUMMER
05-22-2006, 11:48
I appreciate the replies, and I've used bars leak before with clogging results.............LOL. It stoped the leak alright and reduced overal flow by 50%. I've been checking for more fluid and have yet to see any. I have the pump so it'll go in as soon as I can.

stingthieves
05-22-2006, 13:34
Not likely that the Bars product was the problem - it will flow in a cooling system, UNTIL it is exposed to heat or air at a leak point. It doesn't contain the rice hulls or inorganic minerals that plug a system as others will. It will not build up in a system, UNLESS you dumped in 6 big cans at once. Opps _ I did that ->and drove the family car 15 miles home on a Sunday afternoon. Catastrophic head failure in a tired Olds 350 DIESEL full size wagon.
Kind Regards, Rick

PLUMMER
05-23-2006, 06:59
Good to know, but it was bars leak that I used in a Dakota 4x4, 318 motor with 4.10 rear end. Had trans oil cooler and that was right in front of the radiator, which is where all the pin holes were spraying at me as I walked infront of the grill.......LOL. So 1 jug of BL to get me to the radiator shop and I lost all heat. The heater core pluged up almost 100%. I wanna say it had copper flakes if i remember correctly and not confusing it with something else. Anyways a couple flushes later and all was well with the heat. Thanks again

Turbo Al
05-24-2006, 09:00
The pump on my 93 driped for 6 months and 6,000 miles before it finally started coming out in a flow @ below 1,200 rpm then I still drove it for 1,000 miles putting in coolant only if the rpms were down for (rush hour) for long periods of time. I have not done a van but the 5 or 6 hours seems about right for when I did the Pickup nothing too hard about it just a lot to take off that was at about 165,000 miles BTW.
Al

JDave
05-24-2006, 09:41
I still have the original pump on at 207K miles, so they can go a while.

CareyWeber
05-25-2006, 07:42
I still have the original pump on at 207K miles, so they can go a while.

Dave,

You've got me by about 1,000 miles, so yes indeed they can last a long time.

I keep wondering when it will go. When I do it I'm going to replace the timing chain, vacuum pump, crank pulley and damper too.

Carey