PDA

View Full Version : 94 6.5 diesel and lots of codes

farmboy1989
05-18-2006, 18:24
Ok, I used the paper clip trick to get the codes on my truck. It is running really rough and seems to be missing on 1 cylinder or so. I got code 29,36,91,92,94,95,96,97,98, and then 29 again and at the end i got 33.........all the rest of the codes i got 3 times each. Does anyone have a diagnosis? It has a brand new electronic injection pump and 500 miles on the injectors and it has brand new glow plugs......any ideas fellas?......sure seems like somthing is wrong somewhere to me. I have a list of what the codes mean but putting it all together seems like a hard puzzle. Thanks!

bluuzman
05-19-2006, 00:38
Have you tried clearing the codes to see what are actually current?

You should get the codes cleared by fully applying both brake and accelerator pedals when in diagnosis mode.

However, here is something which might help:

DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) 91-98 WILL SET WHEN
-Engine Idling.
-Coolant at operating temperature.
-Cylinder fault constant.
-Fuel correction amount exceeds defined limits (internal to Powertrain Control
Module (PCM) ) for 2 seconds.

ACTION TAKEN (PCM WILL DEFAULT TO)
-Rough idle.
-DTC will be stored as a current and history code, but will not turn on the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) .

DTC 91-98 WILL CLEAR WHEN
Fault condition no longer exists.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS
To properily identify suspect cylinders, a scan tool must be used. The scan tool "INJ BALANCE" test will cut out the specific cylinder requested. The scan tool will cut out a specific cylinder for 60 second intervals (you can repeat cylinder cutout for the same cylinder as needed). Faulty injection nozzles will set cylinder balance DTC's and should always be checked first. A nozzle can be swapped from one cylinder to another as a quick check to identify a fault.

BR, Ari

moondoggie
05-19-2006, 10:28
[font=times][size=+]Good Day!

I haven

john8662
05-19-2006, 11:35
farmboy,

Lots of Codes!

If you haven't already, check out this link over on the content side of the site:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/trblcode.htm

This will give you what the codes mean in relation to the Diesel application.

First off, you start troubleshooting codes starting with the first, if possible.

Code 29 is Glow Plug Relay Fault (usually from the plugs being on longer or being commanded on via relay from another method). In short, check wiring.

Another thing comes to mind, check all the grounds on the truck as well as have great battery connections. Any weak connections, wreaks havoc on the computer. So I'd suggest a good cleaning of ALL the battery connections. Check the connetions at both the battery and the negative posts on the block that connect to the intake and water crossover. Next find the grounds and make sure they're connected. On the backside of the engine on the passenger's side there will be a stud on the intake that should have two wires going to it. One black wire and another strap type wire, there may be another. Make sure that they are present and connected.

With as many IP codes as you're getting and having every cylinder appear to have a balance fault, check the connections on the back of the engine behind the fuel filter. It's VERY possible that it's loose. There are several connections there, the largest is the main one that controlls the IP.

A short note about balance codes, it could also be air in the system!

J

farmboy1989
05-20-2006, 14:36
I had the batteries unhooked before i got all these codes so they are fresh. As far the john deere farmer thing is i have an old jd 720 diesel 2cyl. The Steiger is my uncles and is the main tractor that i run for him.And we have international stuff too, go figure....lol...

ronniejoe
05-20-2006, 16:01
We had an old 720 Diesel on the farm when I was growing up. Great old tractor!

moondoggie
05-22-2006, 09:51
Good Day!

Sorry, just had to give you the needle.

bluuzman & john8662 give excellent advice, as always.

Blessings!

(signature in previous post)