PDA

View Full Version : 6.5L Performance

Tyler
05-19-2006, 17:52
What can be expected out of a 97 2500 6.5L with a 4in exhaust, intake, and custom flash? What problems would i encounter on it. the truck has been well taken care of and is completely stock. I know nothing about this engine. Should i opt for it or look for a cummins/powerstroke? The owner says it has the original injection pump and gets a constant 19-20 mpg. could the MPG be true? Its a ex-cab short bed 4x4.

Thanks

16gaSxS
05-19-2006, 19:12
That is about right. What to expect ????? It easier to tell us what you want to do and if that is reasonable. That would be a "S" engine 190hp vs 195hp. Six bolt wheels 7700 lb GVW. I'd bet axel ratio is 3.73. How many miles? What would be your plans to use the truck for. I have 175,000 miles on a Injection Pump.

Tyler
05-20-2006, 11:57
Its a 97 2500 ex-cab short bed 4x4 with a auto tranny. from what i can tell and what the seller has told me the body and interior is prestine. The owner says he has had it since 80k miles and its has 119K as we speak. He used it as a daily driver and to haul his boat to the lake and back, he hasnt had one problem with it and is seeling it to pay for his new superduty. Im looking for a way to get away from my 12 mpg dodge 1500. I will use it strictly as a daily driver with little towing if any. Owner told me it gets 19-20 mpg constantly with 285/75R16 BFG A/T's. Its completely stock. No new injection pump, nothing. It has the tranny and oil cooler as i susposed they all did. I would like to turn it up enough for about 250HP, roughly the same ballpark as my dodge. I want it to hold its speed in cruise control going up a mountain. if i turn it up i should maintain 19-20 MPG? there is a place local that will put the truck up to a dyno and reprogram the Computer for max power, or whatever you want. Ive been looking at cummins for a while, but this truck is about 5K less than a cummins or PSD in the exact same condition. I want it to be reliable as well w/o having to worry about being stranded.

Thanks
Tyler

BTW, is this a year model engine that is prone to engine cracking and blown head gaskets? What will i have to worry about?

soulman67
05-20-2006, 16:48
6.5's perform well as daily drivers, I miss driving mine. performance wise with 80hp computer reflase mine would out fun my friends 02 PSD his had a 80hp chip. they don't pull the same but if your not going to pull very often I think a old chevy 6.5 is the way to go. The newer chevy's with the Dmax run great but they don't ride or handle as well as these older chevys do. That is my opinion.

piersbc
05-22-2006, 11:26
I avg about 15-16 mpg and mine is a daily driver....

Turbine Doc
05-25-2006, 20:41
What can be expected out of a 97 2500 6.5L with a 4in exhaust, intake, and custom flash? What problems would i encounter on it. the truck has been well taken care of and is completely stock. I know nothing about this engine. Should i opt for it or look for a cummins/powerstroke? The owner says it has the original injection pump and gets a constant 19-20 mpg. could the MPG be true? Its a ex-cab short bed 4x4.

Thanks

Go to the rpo code list in your glovebox then in members area is a conversion chart that will tell you what your vehicle came with, also need to know 8th digit of vin F or S