PDA

View Full Version : Horror show !

coxfmly
12-23-2005, 19:59
I have just removed my heater box in order to replace the heater core. Sounds easy, yea right...
I had to remove the fender as well as the inner wheel well. For some reason Chevy installed a rubber cover over the air con system and the blower motor. I can't imagine removing the fender to replace the blower motor! Now that I have the heater box on the work bench I can't find a way to remove the heater core. All of the bolts have been removed but it won't budge. It looks like the rods for the flapper doors are holding the assembly together. Would anyone know how to get the core out of the heater box? Thanks

arveetek
12-24-2005, 09:14
GM installed that rubber covering as a way to insulate the diesel noise from the cab. A lot of us have actually just cut the rubber away in order to replace the blower motor.

I replaced the heater core in my old '86 a few years ago. My memory's a bit fuzzy, but I do remember having to take the flapper rods out of the box in order to separate the halves and get the core out of the box. I think that the rods will just pull out, or push out. I can't quite remember.

Casey

coxfmly
12-24-2005, 10:07
Casey,
You have stated that the rubber cover is only for noise and I would guess some heat, would it be an issue if I just left the piece off when I reassemble the truck? I have pulled the rod out and I was able to pull out the core. What a task in order to replace a $25.00 piece of equipment. I could only imagine the cost if I had a garage do this work. Thanks for the info.

Paul

DmaxMaverick
12-24-2005, 11:59
The rubber cover is on all models, not just Diesels. It's main function is insulation, both noise and temp. It also helps to reduce condensation in the system. I've removed them on every pre-88 truck when replacing the blower motor. I haven't noticed any real decrease in A/C performance, but the "Diesel noise" is more noticeable, but only slightly. You could replace with the original, or a new OEM, or blanket type insulation with some spray-on type insulation. I've seen several done that way (blanket/spray), and the only problem I see with it would be the next R/R. Keep that in mind when you do it. There is a possibility you'll be doing it again, if you keep the truck for a long time.

arveetek
12-28-2005, 15:11
Originally posted by DmaxMaverick:
The rubber cover is on all models, not just Diesels. Not on all models. My '81 doesn't have it, and my father-in-law's '86 C20 doesn't have it. However, my '86 K10 diesel and '86 C10 Suburban diesel both had it.

I just cut enough of the plastic cover off in order to access the blower motor, and left it off.

Casey