PDA

View Full Version : help no fuel

eembry
05-21-2006, 06:43
I have a 92 6.5 2500 pu. I am having trouble with it after I drive it long enough to get it hot and shut it off it will start and about the time you put it in gear it dies like you turn the key off and it is hard to get started. I acts like it is running out of fuel. I have put a couple of fuel pumps on the truck in the last 3 or4 years the last one was a delco about 14 months ago. Would this be the culprit again or is something else going on? I can't hear the fuel pump continue running after you shut it off to build up pressure like I usually do. Is there some kind of sensor or is there another hundred dollar fuel pump in my future? If so what is causing this thing to eat fuel pumps? Thanks, Eddie

Robyn
05-21-2006, 08:08
HI
well my first stop would be to make sure the fuel shut off solenoid in the pump is working.
Have a helper turn the key on and off while you listen at the Injection pump.
You should hear an audible click from within the pump.
If you dont and the rig wont start your problem is the fuel solenoid.
It can be replaced on the rig by removing the top of the pump and replacing the solenoid.
If the unit is a high miler you might be better of to take the pump to a good diesel shop and have them go through it and freshen it up.
Also be sure your fuel filters and lines are not the trouble. Check fuel delivery to the pump both in volume and pressure.

Robyn

Hubert
05-21-2006, 08:12
Three things common.

1) Oil pressure switch might be flakey. Or intermittent failing.
2) Not 100% sure but think your year the circuit relies on power from ignition relays which is overtaxed powering almost everything. Results in low amp output to the LP. Kennedy offers a relay circuit to power the LP and reduce load on ignition contacts.
3) The LP's are weak and fail. I used a Advanced Auto one it has a lifetime warranty. I filed the reciept and expect it to fail someday.

Its becoming more advised by many to add a fuel pressure guage on the DS IP's to monitor the LP performance. DB IP's its not quite the same but you see the point. Something about the DB IP's won't tolerate too much pressure to the IP. DS pumps like excess flow and some are running up to 18 psi LP pressure.

woodchuck
05-28-2006, 23:06
After running long enough to get warm, then shutting off for an hour or so, it will start and die. My wife is driving the truck mostly now as I have a long comute to work and the car gets better milage than the truck does. Anyway, she has learned to not put it in gear and to not try to keep it running if/when it dies. Then it will usually start and run on the third try. This problem seemed to appear after changing the fuel filter a while back. I had to hot wire the lift pump to fill the new filter. I have a new filter to put in but I am thinking the lift pump is not being powered by the ops or when the ignition is turned on as it should. I hadn't thought about checking the fuel shut off solenoid.

Thanks for the ideas, and the help.