PDA

View Full Version : Coming out

Inspector
05-21-2006, 21:30
Now that I have your attention, its that time of year that if you haven't already done so and had the RV on the road it is getting close, (if you can afford the fuel), its time to think about safty items, annual maint. and the general goods looks of the ol RV.
I would imagine that most here have a check list that they use each year at the beginning of the summer towing season and they follow it closely.
I usually start out with a good sanitation of the water system. If you don't like being up in the night with a belly ache it is a good idea to do it right.
Next my fire extinghishers need to be looked at and serviced or replaced if the pressures are down.
A check for unwanted critters is a good idea as some may park the RV out in the back lot for the winter and may have gained some unwanted tennants.
Every other year I repack the wheel bearings and check the condition of the brakes and magnets for wear.
Now the hard part. I like to wax the rig after a good wash job. I keep the trailer covered in storage but it still seems to get dirty. My fiberglass end caps have faded and oxidized and will need to have extra attention this year.
Not last and not the least would be the tires. If they are showing any signs of weathering, cracking, splits in the tread grooves its time to get rid of them.
There are many other things that may need attention but I have only mentioned a few. I know you guys have your own pet peaves to look after but we do it all with the same thing in mind, safty and to enjoy an uneventful season.
I know that when I have all that I can do done and feel that it is safe and all looks good going down the road I can enjoy the trip.
What do you do to get ready for the towing season on your RV?
Denny

More Power
05-26-2006, 19:18
The first winter, I used RV anti-freeze in all of the water lines.... Not any more... except to use in the drain traps. Every fall since, I drain as much as water I can out of the system, then use an air compressor to blow out the rest. No problems with freeze-ups..

In the spring, I tighten all the water line fittings, pour in some liquid bleach into the water tank along with several gallons of water, let sit overnight, then drain and flush. I also run a few gallons of water through the water system to check for leaks and proper functioning.

We don't drink water from the trailer supply unless it's been boiled.

Then the heater, water heater, range/microwave and trailer lights are tested.

Still need to check/repack the wheelbearings.... :rolleyes:

Jim

DennisG01
05-31-2006, 07:01
Well, I have a boat - but it does have a cuddy and a sink. In fact, when we go on a long trailering trip, we sometimes use the boat to sleep in, rather than paying for a motel room. But basically, I do the same things:

-Wash 'n wax
-Flush RV antifreeze out of the fresh water lines
-Quick clean the interior (was also done at the end of the year)
-Change oil in the engine and drive, replace oil & fuel filters
-Grease Zirk fittings on the drive
-I repack the bearings on the trailer every few years. Other than that, whenever I'm trailering it and we stop for a pit-stop, I'll go and put my hands on the hubs to feel if they are hot. When we get to the boat ramp, I let the hubs cool down a little before dunking it in the water.
-Grease up anything that moves on the trailer
-Batteries get put on a trickle charge once a month over the winter
-Start it up in my driveway (with a big grin on my face that says "it's finally boatin' season again!")

All in all, it only takes a little bit of my time (as I'm sure it's the same for most of you guys), but it is well worth it for that "piece of mind".