PDA

View Full Version : 2500HD 4X front end rattle

Big E
05-22-2006, 21:24
The dealer has repaired this once before, but the problem has come back and is getting progressively worse. I don't know what was repaired the first time, assuming idler or pitman arm. I still have warranty but want a permanent fix. '03 2500HD 4X D/A w/48K.

More Power
05-23-2006, 10:16
This customer concern was a lot more common a few years ago, involving the early 2500HD/3500 trucks. While GM initially advised dealer service centers to grease a steering shaft bearing, the best longterm fix involved replacing the upper thrust bearing (#26099860) in the power steering gear assembly E9720.

A search here in this forum will likely yield many more forum threads with additional info. :)

Jim

Big E
05-23-2006, 21:38
Thanks, this will be helpfull next week when the truck goes to the dealer to have this problem repaired; it's still under CNA warranty.

Black95TD
05-26-2006, 05:19
My 05 has a rattle in the steering. Can't hear it but definately can feel it in the steering wheel. This has been the ONLY! issue with my 05. There had been lots of problems with the steering intermediate shaft - I went to dealer and they told me it had been fixed on 05s. Its a splined shaft that collapses to install and then extends to fit. There was a recall on it according to all the posts on this site. Its only about a 1/2 hr. to R&R and about a $75 part (as best as I can remember) Might want to check this out as well.

Do you feel it in the steering wheel over cracks in road etc.? I can't hear any noise - don't know if others heard any noise.

Claven
05-30-2006, 00:03
I have a rattle in the front of my 2003, I can't feel it, but I can hear it if I have the window down, and what it is, is the brake pads, I take them out and spread the tin slider bushing things so they fit tighter and that cures it for a couple of weeks, but it keeps coming back, it's almost embarassing, everytime I hit a little bump you can hear it rattle away.

SHOPMAN426
06-03-2006, 08:37
My '02 has had this ratte since day one. I've had the truck in three times and to this day it still rattles. First they didn't have an answer, second time they gave me the lube job, and third they installed the new shaft. It's been amost a year since that, and it's rattling again. I am way out side my three year warranty but I was told to bring it back if I have a problem again. more or less this repair ticket remains unsolved. The kicker is I only have 22,000 miles to this date.

Shopman426,
Mike.

lmholmes11
02-24-2012, 08:12
I have a front end rattle in my 07 also. Seems to be only when turning. I know that the intermediate steering shaft is a known problem but your right, it is very annoying. I can hear it more so than feel it.

fourtenposi
02-25-2012, 07:07
Hey All,

I had the rattle in my 05 gmc 2500 in the steering. The following parts will fix it. The stock bushing at the end of the steering column is to loose. I replaced both parts in my truck although I question whether the intermediate shaft needed after removing my old one but did it anyway. Did the job in about 30 minutes, pretty easy. But the bushing will definitely fix the problem that is common on these trucks.

Just a tip when installing, make sure the wheels are straight, and don't turn the steering wheel once you remove the intermediate shaft, if you don't have it lined up properly when you go back together with it, if will damage the airbag wiring.

http://www.partszoneonline.com/

88963617 General Motors
Steering Shaft Lower Bearing. Some vehicles may also require this bearing to complete the steering shaft change to completely eliminate the noise. $25.16

19153614 General Motors
New design intermediate steering shaft 1999-2007 Full Size Truck. This will eliminate the clunk noise in your steering wheel. This is a permanent fix with a teflon bushing inside that does not require any more grease. $57.00