PDA

View Full Version : Serpentine Belt to Bypass A/C 6.5NA?

heelsroll
05-23-2006, 12:06
All,
Old time member from the early days 96-97, back in the fold with a pair of 1994 C2500 regular cab pickups with 6.5 NA engines. Both are ex-VDOT with 190-200k miles, run well, and look good if you like Orange.

One of the trucks is making a lot of racket from the A/C compressor -- not screeching like a seizing bearing or stuck clutch, but mechanical rattling. I was thinking of just bypassing the A/C compressor as a simple test or fix. Has anyone done this? Would you happen to know what belt you used?

If not, I'll take an old belt and cut it to about the right length, then try to get a match, but I figured if I could just walk in, with a part number, life would be better.

To be honest, I haven't stared at the diagram long enough to figger out if this is even a possibility, but it just seemed like someone would have done so. I'm not really interested in spending big bucks to repair the A/C just yet, so something to tide me over would be ideal.

Many thanks for any help on this, and for the wealth of information all over the site.

Best,
Joel
2x1994 C24P's

DmaxMaverick
05-23-2006, 12:13
Welcome back!

I don't have the belt info for you, but....
Have the dealer, or someone with a manual, pull up the belt routing for the same model without A/C. You may need to install an idler pulley to get the correct routing. At the same time, the manual should show the correct belt to use in that app.

Another possibility is to just replace the clutch bearing. It will probably be cheaper than the idler alone. Not to mention a lot easier. Some time in the future, you may want that A/C to work.

john8662
05-23-2006, 12:27
I've seen 94-95 engines that had the A/C delete that had a smaller bracket with a stationary pulley mounted in place, so supposedly they used the same belt. No guarantees, but the dealer should be able to provide this information.

Or as Dmax suggested, fix the a/c with a new bearing, etc.

heelsroll
05-23-2006, 12:47
Thanks to you both. I was thinking of a bypass as an 'easy' temporary solution, but if it involves a new idler it's not worth it.

I also went this way, too, because I've had a Chevy K3500 (not my own) leave me stranded when the compressor locked up -- so I was looking for a good solution to have in my back pocket.

I checked on a NAPA and the cheap clutch bearing is only around $10. That's much more reasonable than $100 for a new clutch or much more for a full refit of the A/C (worst case). Not sure if I can replace the bearing myself or if I need a press to do it; a manual is in the works once funds allow.

Looking for the cheap answers only until i can get a good feel for what I can expect out of these trucks. Just sorry I didn't get the one that had a new compressor on it!

Again, thank you for the feedback!

Best,
Joel

heelsroll
05-23-2006, 16:28
All,

Just to provide info for future searchers:

There is a compressor bypass pulley available at Napa, part number BK
6601803, list price is 31.99.

http://partimages.genpt.com/partimages/257131.jpg

This compares to 10 or 20 for the bearing, 100 or so for a new clutch, 180-320 for a rebuilt/new compressor.

I definitely would prefer to have the A/C working again some time, I'm sure, even if it's when I move that rig on to a new owner, so I may chat with the local independent shop to see what kind of labor charges I'd be incurring. I'm willing to take on many jobs but I'd sure not like to vent any refrigerant left in the system.

I will also check with local shops to see if any have the GM puller/installer tool available, without which the bearing replacement just won't happen.

Always good to know the options. Thanks again for the feedback.

Best,
Joel

DmaxMaverick
05-23-2006, 17:04
Auto parts chain stores that have tool loaner programs should have the puller. You're right. No tool. No job. Go at it. They're not hard with the tool. If you have to buy the tool, IIRC, its less than $10.