PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades that don't cause allison problems?

pscott
05-25-2006, 06:03
Morning all,
I am looking to many options for upgrading my 04 Dmax. The only thing i want to avoid is slippage or future problems with the Tranny. I have been told that an aftermarket exhaust and performance intake is as far as i should go before any problems with the tranny would occur. And if i were to add those upgrades with a chip or controller, i would have problems down the line. Does anyone have any feedback on this?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Paul

BMDMAX
05-25-2006, 10:53
An exhaust will be fine. You won't see much gain if any with the intake.

You can run a tow tune pretty safely with the Allison but don't go much more than 60 additional horsepower if you want good longevity.

mark45678
06-04-2006, 19:15
I agree 100% with badmax.... My last two trucks had over 80K on them , 90% of the time with edge juice set on 70 hp driven fairly hard empty and some respect shown while towing. Tow tune and a finger stick on a lly is very close to what a stock alli will deal with on a regular accurance. about all you will notice with a air filter kit is the turbo spools slightly faster , Not worth big money in book. exhaust will give you a seat of the pants bang for your money, in most cases 15+ hp and maybe 30~40 lbs of TQ poss more !