PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Pump Replacement

bsevans
05-26-2006, 08:49
Can anyone who has replaced their vacuum pump tell me what is involved. I've looked at the three mounting points on the new pump and for the life of me can not see how to remove the old unit without removing the AC compressor. Some guidance would be helpful - thanks!

ronniejoe
05-26-2006, 08:59
Based on your comments, I am assuming your truck is a 95 or older. If so, you do have to remove the A/C compressor. Don't disconnect the hoses, just tie it out of the way.

bsevans
05-26-2006, 09:05
Yes, it is a 95 Tahoe. Are there any other issues I should know about in moving the AC compressor other than leave the lines connected? Thanks for the quick response.

BobND
05-26-2006, 09:42
The vacuum pump replacement looks a lot tougher than is is. Just keep track of the various bolt lengths.

The A/C compressor easily moves out of the way far enough to get at the vacuum pump.

You will need a special pulley puller that grabs the groove in the vac pump pulley to pull it off... that's the toughest part of the job. Then, use the appropriate tool to install the pulley on the new pump.

A couple of years ago, I misplaced my puller/installer, and picked up a cheapy from Harbor Freight just to get one job done, hoping it would hold up. Well, I have not found my good set, and the HF set is still holding up, after quite a number of tough jobs.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40749

bsevans
05-26-2006, 10:27
Thanks for the post. My Power Steering Pulley removal/installation kit will do this easily.

ees
05-26-2006, 18:51
Why do you want to replace your vacuum pump? Take it out, throw it away, and get a Heath boost master (I think that is what it is called). It is way cheaper! You just need to get a slightly shorter belt. I have had that setup for about a year after my vacuum pump was on the fritz. The added benefit is you get steady boost levels instead of the factory method of cycling it up and down based on intake temperature.

Dvldog8793
05-30-2006, 13:26
Howdy
Move the AC as little as possible and treat it with kid gloves. The hoses can be very brittle and crack easily. The heath turbo-master works great with no vac pump. Some of the older trucks used vac to control the climate center but I'm not sure about yours. While you are replaceing the pump you might as well replace all the vac lines as you probably have exceeded their life span as well.
L8r
Conley

bsevans
05-31-2006, 07:35
I also need the vacuum pump for the EGR system (2 solenoid valves). I could install a mechanical waste gate controller, however, the vacuum system works fine. The main reason I was going to install a new unit was preventative maintenance. I

ees
06-02-2006, 04:06
That makes sense. My '94 doesn't have EGR and the vacuum pump was about $50 more then going to mechanical WG control. Plus the spring doesn't rob any Hp like the vacuum pump does (not that you could measure it).