PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone done this?

bsevans
05-26-2006, 10:20
When my vehicle started stalling, hard starting, surging, poor fuel mileage, erratic idle and finally no-start (over a period of 3-4 months) and the dealerships and independent diesel shops all telling me it was probably my injector pump which the dealership had replaced under the extended warranty 16K miles ago, I turned to the internet to educate myself.
I found many before me with the same issues that where identified as most probably FSD related. I bit the bullet and pulled the turbo casting and intake manifold so I could remove the old FSD, replace the injector pump harness, all the fuel hoses and get to that readily accessible OPS.
I looked at the turbo inlet casting and was amazed that there where just two slots milled in the web surrounding the EGR feed thru. This has to be a restriction to the flow and I decided to do the following:
First, I took a router with a 1/2" carbide bit and carefully removed the entire web leaving the flats for the outer gasket and the circular flat for the EGR gasket. I was stunned to see almost a

MTTwister
05-26-2006, 14:52
Sounds exactly what Kennedy has recommended on his site in the Tech Tips.
http://www.kennedydiesel.com/ see 6.5, tech tips section..

bsevans
05-26-2006, 15:37
Either a brain fart or I'm must be getting real old (almost 60). The minute I went to the Tech Tips at Kennedy Diesel I realized that I had seen those photos before and they had to be the source of inspiration.
I will say that the method I used was much cleaner, easier and left a much smoother surface than that mentioned and shown in his photos.

chickenhunterbob
05-26-2006, 21:08
Besevans

No problems, in fact, it's good to hear from someone who knows about routers, carbide and chamfer bits, and not just piston rings, boost, horsepower, torque and such,

I'm a cabinetmaker by trade...

bsevans
05-26-2006, 22:30
Besevans

No problems, in fact, it's good to hear from someone who knows about routers, carbide and chamfer bits, and not just piston rings, boost, horsepower, torque and such,

I'm a cabinetmaker by trade...
I was a cabinetmaker/furniture builder for 10 years or so and then decided to use my mechanical engineering degree and went from wood to metals, ceramics and plastics. Different materials but the same approach and vision.