PDA

View Full Version : 94 6.5 Battery life??

longhorncallan1
08-13-2004, 14:37
I was wondering about how many years others were getting out of their Batteries.
I do about 30 to 40 mi. a day to and from work. Five years ago I installed a new Alternator.
Three years ago I installed new starter,
Two years ago I installed new batteries (the HD's, 850 or 1100 CCA's. 5 yr. warranty).
Last year a retired Chevy mechanic put new bearings and bridge in the alternator.
But now after a few slow cranks, the batteries poop again. Cleaned the terminals. I have to "tweek the terminals" tighter about every 6 - 8 weeks.
Two years ago the battery shop was saying the starter was pulling an extra 50 amps or more. Can't remember exactly now.
Seams like I'm ready for batteries now again.
I DON'T have extra electrical stuff on it.

LanduytG
08-13-2004, 17:24
I have had 5 sets of bateries in my 95. I have tried all of them and now I can say I have a good set of batteris. I ut in Optima's. Yes they are pricey but these turn the motor over faster than anything else I have ever had in it. Give them a try and I think you will see what I am talking about. By they way the last set only lasted about a year and I had a new starter and altrenator in it. Its the heat and vibration that kills them and the Optima is suppose to be the best for those conditions.

Greg

catmandoo
08-13-2004, 17:50
wonder how those gel batteries would hold up,and on my old 6.2 pickup about 3 yrs and i felt lucky,as for my 6.5 i've had it a yr and a half and the batteries were new in 01 so we'll see how long they last.

DmaxMaverick
08-13-2004, 18:27
Batteries are a crap shoot, now matter which way you go. You could spend the big bucks and still be shorted (no pun intended). The better batteries, like Optima, lessen the chances of premature failure, but come at a price. I don't know anyone that has run them for more than 5 years in a vehicle, but that's as long as they have had them. Only one that I know of that was replaced under warranty. I use them exclusively in my RV's (Blue Tops) with predictable results, and no messing with the cables once they are installed properly. Zero maintenance battery.

Gels are not a good option. They are very pricey to get them with enough poop, and require extensive upgrades to your charging system. You can't just replace a lead/acid battery with a gel. Your current charging system will kill them in short order, and they may rupture in the process.

Dvldog 8793
08-14-2004, 05:48
Howdy
1 year ago I replaced my original Delcos with red Optimas. Also ALL battery cables with 2(0) welding cable with crimp on lugs(sealed and solder). Hard to say what makes the difference but the engine spins over like the glow plugs are missing! :D I have had NO problems with the Optimas and have heard of no problems. Allot of my dirt track racer friends use them and beat on them pretty hard. In the winter I have an on-board charger that trikles the batteries everynight. Hope this helps!
L8r
Conley

longhorncallan1
08-15-2004, 05:22
Thanks for the replies to my original post. My local battery guys always say "gee everything looks OK when we put the anylizer on them (batteries). I've had the truck for six years (98). One new GM starter (00)cause it would just click. New Alternator (98) one diode went out and rebuilt (02) after I got new batteries again.
Just checked my two local Auto Zones after looking Optima's on the internet.8 years warranty, 3 year free replacement. 800 CCA. $118 ea. ouch! (compared to $69 for lead acids) These are dry cell too. Wonder if they can be mixed for a month or two and get one at a time

longhorncallan1
08-15-2004, 05:28
Dvldog, I like the idea of your cables. Is there a possibility of a picure of your battery cables "at the battery" some time. Some thing easy to take and I can wait a little while. I LOVE my truck and planning to keep it a while

Dvldog 8793
08-15-2004, 05:36
I can do pictures, it might take a awhile as I'm right in the middle of putting in a new motor! :mad: I would not mix batteries. There are allot of posts here about replaceing batteries in pairs. I would save your pocket change and get both at the same time. Doing the cables is relatively cheap but it took me a day.
Email me direct cause I have better luck sending pictures than posting them.
L8r
Conley
the_janssens@earthlink.net

MTTwister
08-15-2004, 08:29
'96 and original batteries, 40,000 mi. I'm expecting them to poop out anytime now, but so far - so good!

DmaxMaverick
08-15-2004, 10:28
Ed

These are dry cell too. Wonder if they can be mixed for a month or two and get one at a time Definately change in pairs! Once you "stagger" your batteries, you'll never get it right, until you replace both at the same time. Also, If you buy two, together, and one fails, your seller will likely replace them in pairs. Insist on it. Works for me.

Also, they are not dry cells, technically. They are dry on the outside because they are completely sealed, but are still L/A on the inside. The plate technology is just different. Spiral plate (Optima) vs. flat plate (traditional).

LanduytG
08-15-2004, 18:25
One thing you want to check are the cable connections between both batteries. This will cause problems, I learned the hard way.

Greg

longhorncallan1
08-16-2004, 01:46
Yeah, Ckecking the cables...EXCEPT...at the starter end (less convenient). And I'm saving the $$ to get them both next month. Driving the Honda to work......UGH!

Marty Lau
08-16-2004, 08:15
The orginal and the second set of batteries I have gotten 3 years out of. This set ai hope will go a bit longer as I am rotating them yearly. On my truck the battery on the passenger side would crap out sooner than the other both times. A buddy who is a ace light aircraft mechanic said rotate them at least yearly and they should last bit longer. (thats what they do in airplanes) He said with dual systems allways one battery will carry more load than the other and that one will crap out sooner than the other. So rotate batteries is now on my fall maintance schedual.

vernj4
08-17-2004, 16:01
To check a battery, first remove the surface charge; This can be done by leaving lights on for 5 minutes (engine off). Than determine the voltage across the terminals, should be as follows:

12.60 volts - 100% charge
12.40 volts - 75% charge
12.24 volts - 50% charge
12.08 volts - 25% charge
11.90 volts - 0% charge

In other words, .70 volts separates a good battery from a bad battery.

sidedump
08-17-2004, 18:09
I just replaced the four batteries in my semi w/ yellow top Optimas. Ouch!!!. But all of my veh. have them. The fact that you can put them in and leave them without worry is worth the extra price. And if your truck has a battery blanket that your leaky lead acid type battery ate you wont need to replace it. Optimas can take the heat. The cheapest I found was at http://www.truckperformance.com/
Good luck