PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Boost

ThePIGSmith
05-28-2006, 18:40
What is the normal boost pressures on a stock Duramax?
How much boost pressure can a Duramax safely take?

More Power
05-30-2006, 08:39
A completely stock LB7 will produce ~17-23 psi, depending elevation and air filter (aftermarket, or cleanliness).

Jim

Mark Rinker
05-30-2006, 08:50
I may have a calibration error with my digital gauge, but never saw stock boost pressures anywhere near there with my LB7.

Even with the Kennedy Boost Valve installed, I would call nominal (towing) boost 6psi at 2K rpm and peak 26psi. At that setting, there is a noticable whistle that is definately not stock.

The MSD software reads ~5 to ~10% higher...

hmmm...

DmaxMaverick
05-30-2006, 10:06
I may have a calibration error with my digital gauge, but never saw stock boost pressures anywhere near there with my LB7.

Even with the Kennedy Boost Valve installed, I would call nominal (towing) boost 6psi at 2K rpm and peak 26psi. At that setting, there is a noticable whistle that is definately not stock.

The MSD software reads ~5 to ~10% higher...

hmmm...
Much of your readings will depend on where in the intake track, and the design of the orifice the boost is sampled. My gage reads different than my scanner. They values are different, and they aren't linear with one another. There will also be a venturi effect at specific air velocities and densities, which also skews the sampling. In any case, they are close enough to not matter. Many things can effect the readout. Analog can just be off, and electrical impedence can skew an electronic.

Tutts
06-02-2006, 19:21
Most I ever saw on my mechanical guage (installed as per Kennedy's instructions from his site) was 24 psi stock at WOT. With the boost stick installed, at WOT, I saw 30 psi.