PDA

View Full Version : Got Predator/Which Gauges?

KayCee
05-28-2006, 20:35
Picked up a Predator tuner for my 02 Duramax and will be getting the EGT gauge asap. I knew the pyro is a must but is the boost gauge necessary? Money is an issue at this time and just how important is the boost gauge? I guess knowing how hard the engine is working is important and too much pressure is a bad thing but if I keep my EGT within range will my boost be okay anyway? The second gauge is only another $180 installed but I haven't worked much lately due to health issues. The truck came with a tranny gauge so I didn't think the triple was necessary.

Thanks for any advice.

Mark Rinker
05-29-2006, 06:34
Boost and EGT are linked dynamically, and most people want to see the relationship rather than just one peice of data. If money is tight, add the pyro first, but do add the boost gauge eventually.

My advice would be to work with John Kennedy and add his Boost Valve when you add the boost gauge. You'll want to add more boost to burn the extra fuel the Predator brings.

DmaxMaverick
05-29-2006, 12:48
If a boost gage is out of the question for now, for whatever reason....

The Predator programmer will show boost pressure. It is not convenient (and maybe not safe), to watch the display while driving. It is in "Fuel Trim Data" as "MAP" (second line, IIRC). The pressure isn't compensated for atmosphere/altitude, so will indicate 14.x PSI at 0 PSI gage, depending on your altitude. You can determine the actual PSIG by subtracting the static value (engine off MAP) from your displayed MAP value.

Mark Craig
06-02-2006, 07:58
KayCee,

$180.00 for the boost gauge installed seems a little steep to me. You mention you have health issues that would probably stop you from installing them yourself, but double check the price. We sell boost gauges starting at 45.00 or so, the install is connecting the lighting connections at the same location they will the pyro lighting and using a boost "T" or tapping and drilling for a 1/8th NPT pipe fitting and your done!

Call us maybe we have somene in your area that can do it for you.

Mark @ DPPI

KayCee
06-02-2006, 11:54
Mark,

Thanks for the advice and I will check it out further. The people that gave me a price for the pyro install said that a second gauge (boost) would mean a full pillar assembly instead of the single pod piece that would attach to the existing pillar. I guess that would add to the price ($180.00 Cdn). As far as doing the install myself, I feel much better having it done by the experts although it does sound pretty simple.

My health problems only prevent me from climbing ladders and staging which were a big part of my job. At my age, I'll leave the high work for the young bucks and find something closer to ground level.

Thanks again.

DmaxMaverick
06-02-2006, 14:59
Several TDP advertisers offer 1, 2 and 3 gage pillar pods that slip over the existing trim. While I think the replacement trim looks better, the others are more popular.

KayCee
06-02-2006, 19:24
Appreciate the input. I will check on which they are quoting, replacement or over existing. I hope they have allowed for replacement if you think that looks better.

I can't believe this, you guys now got me talking like I'm getting both gauges and maybe I will. Wife and kids will kill me if I mortgage the cabin again but as long as I don't sell it, right?