PDA

View Full Version : towing with predator

Joe Duffiney
05-29-2006, 06:21
My gcwr at the scales was 15,200 lbs. Can I tow with the predator in the 65hp setting without hurting the allison or should I stay at the 40hp?

Mark Rinker
05-29-2006, 06:30
Personally, I'd stay at the 40 - especially if you plan to have other drivers at the controls.

With yourself as the driver and a careful right foot, you could probably run the second stage, but it doesn't really make any difference when you can't use all of it.

Joe Duffiney
05-29-2006, 06:44
Thanks for the reply. You have quite a fleet of trucks . I am the only driver and the main reason for the question was I seem to get better fuel economy with the 65 tune and egt's stay about the same maybe even a bit lower in the 65. I was not sure about the transmission being able to hold up. I have never limped it and don't care to.................. yet

DmaxMaverick
05-29-2006, 11:36
My gcwr at the scales was 15,200 lbs. Can I tow with the predator in the 65hp setting without hurting the allison or should I stay at the 40hp?

Yes you can. If you don't have gages (boost and EGT), get them soon of you want to tow with a power adder. EGT's can get pretty high on a grade. Just stay off cruise if there's a grade involved, or have to do some acceleration, like passing. OD won't hold under full torque, and with the cruise on, it will hold OD long enough to cause slipage (and limp mode). If you drive with your foot, and let it downshift to 4th for grades and passing, it'll do fine. Just watch the EGT's!

Joe Duffiney
05-29-2006, 12:01
Thats what I was afraid of slipping in OD. I guess I will stay with the 40hp tune . Don't think I can do the long trips without cruise control .

DmaxMaverick
05-29-2006, 12:14
Thats what I was afraid of slipping in OD. I guess I will stay with the 40hp tune . Don't think I can do the long trips without cruise control .

Good reply. When in doubt, play it safe.

Nothing wrong with using cruise, just not when higher power is needed. The cruise program was updated for later 2001+ models to hold gears longer, to prevent premature downshifts. If you can keep it from powering up in OD, you'll have no problem. Don't get me wrong, here. I'm not trying to talk you into anything. Just saying you can do it. The 65 HP setting will yield better mileage on the flats, and EGT's will be lower (there is a connection between the 2).