PDA

View Full Version : Another Fluid question, trans & rear end. What to use, etc. ?

andrew8896
05-29-2006, 12:16
I have a trailer that is 7500lbs when its loaded, and I pull it about 2,000 miles a year... other than that, the truck is used as a daliy driver for about 15,000 miles a year.

Trans, I am currently running Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, should I continue to use? or is there something better I should be using? How often should I change the fluid?

Rearend, What should I use? Any additives required? What is the rear end fluid capacity? How often should I change the fluid? Also, I didnt notice a drain plug for the rearend, assuming I need to pull the cover and re-seal. Any reccomendations on what gasket material to use?

Thanks again guys, the help is greatly appreciated.

MTTwister
05-30-2006, 10:58
I went with AMSOIL syn diff fulid - in the lighter weight ( front and rear) - as I currently don't do much pulling, I think it was the 75w-90.

There was no drain plug on mine iehter - I did geta new gasket from the dealer, but the old one came off cleanly, and I applied a new batch of goo-pucky to re-seal it.

Tranny - fluid - probably depends on how anal you are, otherwise, when it smells like burnt rubber, or changes color.

Stand by for other opinions.. :)

Hubert
05-31-2006, 14:53
I would follow the owners manual recommendation for sever duty or tow duty what ever they call it. Might hedge a little more. Use the stated viscosity and quality synthetic. You can pick a flavor Amzoil, Redline, Royal Purple to name a few. I would consider a remote mount oil filter setup to add more motor oil capacity and maybe a bigger oil cooler too. 7 quarts of motor oil gets pretty sooted up working it hard. 2500 miles comes up pretty quick.

I think the 1 tons take somethink like 75W-140 rear end fluid. There should be a fill plug on side of casting. Check that vent is clear while you are under there.