PDA

View Full Version : Have You Seen The Inside Of A Garrett Turbo?

Rhoward225
05-29-2006, 22:25
I Need Some Insight!
A Buddy Of Mine And Myself Were Replaceling The Manifold Pressure Switch/sensor After Getting A Code The Other Day, On His 05' "lly" Dmax.
He Started Tearing Things Apart B/f I Got There. He's The Curious Type.
He Took Most Of The Top Of The Motor Apart! I'm Very Familiar W/ Putting The Motor Back Together, As I Have Worked On, And Added All Performance Products To My Own. Don't Trust A Dealership Unless You Have Too!
He Took Some Of The Turbo Components Loose, And Broke The Seal Where The Solenoid Control Connects To The Back Half Of The Turbo.
I Had Wrote A Post Recently Asking The Easiest Way To Disconnect The Metal Line That Comes Out Of The Bottom Of The Front Of The Turbo, As I Was Swapping Mine Along W/ A Bunch Of Other Parts I Had Gotten My Hands On That Only Had About 30,000 On Them. I Still Havn't Had Time To Do The Swap, So I'm Not Up To Par On My Turbo Knowledge Yet.
While Trying To Connect The Front And Rear Parts Of The Turbo Back Together, I Am Running Into A Problem W/ The Front Half Not Seating Flush W/ The Rear, So I Can Tighten The Clamp Back Down. I Am Lacking About An 1/8 Of An Inch, And It Puts The Impeller And Shaft In A Bind When I Try To Go Further. I'm Sure The Shaft Needs To Line Up Somehow, But I'm At My Wits End! Does Anyone Know If There Might Be Something In The Solenoid Control Parts, Where The Oil Lines Go In And Out That Might Be Stopping The Two Halfs From Seating In Place? Or Might There Be A Special Procedure Or Tool Needed?
Thanks For Any Advice!!!!!!!

Kennedy
05-30-2006, 15:19
There are numerous things that you must align. First is the turbo in the vehicle or on the bench?

The key items to align are:

1) A tiny index dowel that keps things lined up rotationally.

2) The hole in the vane control ring needs to align with the vane positioner lever.

3) all the vanes need to be in the ring

Rhoward225
05-30-2006, 23:15
The Turbo Is Still In The Truck. Or Rather The Rear Half Of The Turbo Is Still Mounted To The Block, And Down In The Valley.
The Front Compression Ring That Holds The Front To The Rear Was Loosened And The Front Of The Turbo Atached To The Soleniod Control Was Pulled Forward. But Only Maybe A Half Of An Inch Due Tot He Metal Line Comming Out Of The Bottom Of The Front Half Of The Turbo.
What You Are Calling The "vane Control Ring" Is The Metal Ring I Can See Through The Opening Between The Front And Rear Of The Turbo?
It Appears The Ring Moves Indipently Inside The Housing?
I Am Not Sure If The Impeller Was Spun Once The Turbo Was Messed W/.
If It Was, Could This Cause The Vane Control Ring To Get Out Of Sync And Position, And It Would Be A Matter Of Spinning The Ring Into The Aligned Position.
Also, It Looks Like The Bottom Half Of The Front Of The Turbo Is Flush W/ The Rear, And The Top Is What Is Lacking The 1/8 Of And Inch From Completeing Lining Up.
Would It Be Of Your Opinion That The Bottom Might Just Need To Come Forward A Tad, And It Might Be Putting Just Enough Pressure On The Top Keeping It From Seating If There Is No Room For Error When Aligning All Components?
Lastly Where Is The "index Dowel" You Mentioned Located? Is It In The Front Or The Rear Half Of The Turbo? Can It Be Seen, Or Is It Inside The Housing.
I Know It's One Thing For Me To Describe The Problem, And Getting Help If You Are Not Looking At The Problem. Thanks For Any Additional Comments!!!!!

Kennedy
05-31-2006, 07:06
There is a little dowel on the edge of a disc (eliptical like a locomotive) that must engage in a slotted hole in the trim ring. This arm moves the trim ring and adjusts the turbo. This sounds like what is out of line. The index pin is at 3 oclock or 9 oclock depending on which way you are looking at it. It can be tricky enough to install on the bench let alone in the truck. Don't force it and don't cock it.