PDA

View Full Version : 500 ppm sulfer Low or ultra low?

Hubert
05-31-2006, 05:18
I know its been asked about but searching sulfer yielded no results?

The station I usually fuel at put up a new sticker stating 500 ppm sulfer max highway diesel.

Dang now I can't remember if it stated ultra or just low sulfer but it had a blurb about not being used in 2007 or later vehicles? It been running fine and I use additives as general maintenance (not every tank fill but like ragu its in there I try to keep 1/4-3/8 plus tank level) .....

So what is the qualitative measure of 500 parts per million. I understand the units but have no feel for it. What has it been over the years? Its worse than telling me something in metric. I can at least ballpark that.

And isn't it something about its not really the sulfer content but how its extracted from crude that robs the lubricity. So next question is I haven't seen any lubricity ratings requirements only ever heard of cetane ratings at the pump. Anyone seen anything rating it at the pump?

Yukon6.2
05-31-2006, 08:27
Hi
As i understand 500 ppm is the low sulfer,and the new ultra low is supposed to be 15 ppm.This will be a major headach for the companies that haul it,apperently there is enough residual sulfer left in a tanker compartment and piping after heating fuel is hauled to contaminate three loads of the ultra low stuff,i can see the consumer paying for the PITA factor.

tommac95
05-31-2006, 10:09
ppm are computed as miligrams per liter in aqueous solutions on a weight basis in labs.
[liter of water weighs about 1kg or 1000g at STP ; grams/liter is about ppt .(PartsPerThousand) miligrams per liter follows to be ppm.

Can't recall definitive site for diesel emissions site, but in 1980's [or early '90s] the fuel supply dropped down to present 500ppm S level , lubricity additives became recommended practice. Now we're about to drop again for emissions reasons , should be OK if continue using additives.

JeepSJ
05-31-2006, 23:18
...it had a blurb about not being used in 2007 or later vehicles

I saw that same sticker at a local station today. It actually said that it was a violation of federal law to use that fuel in a 2007 or later vehicle. So, where are the '07's gonna fuel up?

brainpause
06-01-2006, 00:48
Now we're about to drop again for emissions reasons , should be OK if continue using additives.

So if I go out and buy a pre-07 Duramax, I'll have to put additives in each tank? Another cost of operation? :(

Larry

tommac95
06-01-2006, 21:24
Larry--
I used lubricity additive in a 1982 VW for many years, and use it in my 6.5. The pressures in diesel fuel systems are such that fuel filtration and lubrication {or the lack} can considerably determine component endurance.

The fuel system in a 6.5L is worth about $2K . The fuel system in a D-Max is valued closer to $10K.

The newer powerplants can't run higher-sulfur fuel because it will disable the new emissions controls. The older and newer diesels all profit from use of fuel lubricity additives.

ogrice
06-04-2006, 11:31
I've seen fuel system lubricity come up before. My thoughts on that are when the 15 ppm sulfur fuel is the only thing at the pump, i'l be adding 1 qt of 15w-40 oil to each tank for fuel system lubricity. We have already been paying the price for fuel additives. The price has risen step for step with gas and everything else.

every one who reads this.

Don't believe that the oil companies or the lawmakers are looking out for the wellfare of people like you or me. They are doing this to simply line there pockets with our money. pure and simple.

The oil companies are not American companies. What I mean by American companies, I mean like, Ford, Chevy, even Nike. They exist and give nothing back to the community or the people they service.
Nike uses slave labor from overseas countries and charges us at around 1000% profit margin on one pair of shoes. However, they sponsor stuff like the Special Olympics, Diabetes Walk, youth sports programs,etc.... Companies like Ford, Chevy built this country to the industrial powerhouse of the modern world. These companies are truly Amercan.

The oil companies on the other hand are going to destroy this country. They are not American companies.

JohnC
06-05-2006, 07:45
i'l be adding 1 qt of 15w-40 oil to each tank for fuel system lubricity.

May I suggest 2-stroke oil or 30 wt non-detergent oil. 15W-40 has a lot of additives that were not intended to pass through the fuel system or be burnt intentionally. And why pay for them, too boot?

moondoggie
06-05-2006, 10:05
Good Day!

"So if I go out and buy a pre-07 Duramax, I'll have to put additives in each tank?"[list]
[font=times][size=+]I doubt lubricity is an issue with the DMax, although if I were you I'd read lots of the Duramax 6600 topics & maybe do some searches before buying a DMax truck, just to be sure. Lubricity is an issue for 6.2's & 6.5's because we have an IP - DMaxes don't.
[font=times][size=+]I presently add 4 oz. of Stanadyne Lubricity Formula to each tank of fuel I buy (generally ~ 30 gallons); this is approximately the recommended dosage. This costs me 75

brainpause
06-05-2006, 11:34
[QUOTE=moondoggie]Good Day!

"So if I go out and buy a pre-07 Duramax, I'll have to put additives in each tank?"[list]
[font=times][size=+]I doubt lubricity is an issue with the DMax, although if I were you I'd read lots of the Duramax 6600 topics & maybe do some searches before buying a DMax truck, just to be sure. Lubricity is an issue for 6.2's & 6.5's because we have an IP - DMaxes don't.
[font=times][size=+]I presently add 4 oz. of Stanadyne Lubricity Formula to each tank of fuel I buy (generally ~ 30 gallons); this is approximately the recommended dosage. This costs me 75

DmaxMaverick
06-05-2006, 11:50
6.2/6.5's have a fuel Injection distributor Pump (IP). The Duramax has a high pressure pump and HPCR injection (High Pressure Common Rail).