PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Fuel stinks?

Quack_Addict
05-31-2006, 11:11
While I was filling up the other day at a Detroit area station, I noticed a big white WARNING sticker on the pump right about the time I caught a whif of what I was putting in the tank.

The sticker said something about how the fuel this pump was pushing does not meet 2007 model year standards and how it may damage 2007 emissions equipment if pumped into a 2007 M.Y. truck. It's no secret, the emissions junk on diesels in 2007 will be more intricate than before... however I remember reading a thread not that far back about urea-injection for diesels on the horizon to reduce emissions.

Now back to the smell of the fuel... I seemed to be able to pick out a noticeable amonia-like stench (urea?) from the fuel vapor coming out of the filler neck. I know the smell of Diesel, this was something more, kind of an acrid biting smell. With the engine running the exhaust smells noticeably different than it did while running out the last tank of fuel. The truck doesn't run any different that I can tell.

What gives? Is this the refineries or distributors mixing something in with the fuel?

More Power
05-31-2006, 12:27
Other than removing more of the sulfur, I haven't heard of the refineries adding something.... I have heard that GM will be increasing EGR performance as well as adding a soot trap in the coming model-years, but no mention of using urea.

Visit www.dieselforum.org (http://www.dieselforum.org) for current info on diesel emissions requirements and fuel formulation changes. :)

Jim

mark45678
06-03-2006, 12:06
G.D. EPA......MBTE yet another good idea of the EPA...... Cant they just let the OEM clean up the soot and leave it at that ?

Erik Earnest
06-08-2006, 07:14
I have a 03 and noticed when I filled up at our shop 700 gallon storage tank, the truck had a diffrent order to it, kinda smelt like unburt deisel. Then I noticed that there was a small amout of white smoke commiing from the exaust at idel when the engine was cold?? Any ideas? Had a glow plug go out three months ago fixd it?

SoTxPollock
06-08-2006, 10:31
I saw a sticker when I fillled up yesterday and it said THIS IS LOW SULPHUR DIESEL FUEL (500 PPM) AND IS NOT FOR USE IN 2007 AND LATER VEHICLES AS IT MAY DAMAGE THE ENGINE AND VEHICLE.
If low sulphur diesel fuel is 500 PPM then what is for the 2007 Vehicles?
How low do they have to go?

Side note, don't blame the EPA for the MTBE thing. I read a research report back in 1989 that said it was now known that MTBE would contaminate the ground water if it was spilled anywhere. The EPA didn't tell them what to use they just told them it had to burn cleaner. The Gasoline producers just jumped on the cheapest for them to produce bandwagon and went with MTBE. Finally the EPA outlawed it and they better not go back on that. I don't know about you, I prefer my water to not have something that is absolutely deadly in it when I drink it.