PDA

View Full Version : Cracked head(s?)

Keith W
06-01-2006, 23:13
So at least one of my heads is cracked. I took them off, with the engine in my G3500 van. I need to look tomorrow very very carefully to see if the block is cracked. I can't really bring it to a shop to get it magged or anything: is it pretty likely to be ok, and especially whats the chance that I won't be able to see a crack that's there? I drove it about 5-8 miles on a blown water pump.

The other question is: one of the cylinders was very pitted, it's the one where the gasket blew. All the others looked great. The injector for that cylinder is a little dirty, maybe a little pitted. Should I replace it? Can you replace just one? I don't know hardly anything about injectors...

Also: Do I need to replace the cylinder head bolts? The exhaust bolts? I removed the injectors, so it seems I need to replace their copper rings, right? Any other specifics, or sources you can point me to, will be helpful. I have the shop manual but it's pretty sparse. I'm getting the Haynes, I have no idea how it is...

I'm considering getting my heads from Clearwater, anyone have any experience with them?

I may be ditching the van, which is a pity and a major financial loss for me. I can see why someone warned me not to try to do this job with the engine in the vehicle, omigod it's tight. But I don't have any choice... Anyway, thanks for any help!

Warmly, Keith

Robyn
06-02-2006, 07:11
Hi
I just got a set of heads from Clearwater
The reports I have heard are very good.
Yes you need to replace the bolts. many good parts stores have them available.
Clean the block very good and make sure it is totally free of old gasket.
Make sure there is no errosion around the cylinder where the gasket "fire ring" seats
New copper seals on the injectors is a good thing.
New exhaust bolts wont hurt but not an absolute have to have.
While you have the top off replace the plastic rocker guide buttons with a new set.
These are easy to replace, just pry out the old ones "they usually snap off" and drive in the new ones with a small hammer and a 1/2" diameter rod.
Be sure to put the push rods back in with the colored end UP.
A new thermostat is in order too as well as the water pump if you have not already done so.
You can replace one injector but it can cause issues as it will work better than the rest maybe causing a slight roughness noticeable at idle.
Hope this helps.
Best to ya
Robyn

Keith W
06-02-2006, 07:49
Two of them were half melted blobs, both of them in the middle of the passenger side head, that would be cylinders 4 and 6, exhaust and intake valve each (whichever to make it the two center ones). Must've gotten pretty hot in there. I'm on my way out to search for block cracks now.

Keith

CareyWeber
06-02-2006, 08:36
Hi
I just got a set of heads from Clearwater
The reports I have heard are very good.
Yes you need to replace the bolts. many good parts stores have them available.
Clean the block very good and make sure it is totally free of old gasket.
Make sure there is no errosion around the cylinder where the gasket "fire ring" seats
New copper seals on the injectors is a good thing.
New exhaust bolts wont hurt but not an absolute have to have.
While you have the top off replace the plastic rocker guide buttons with a new set.
These are easy to replace, just pry out the old ones "they usually snap off" and drive in the new ones with a small hammer and a 1/2" diameter rod.
Be sure to put the push rods back in with the colored end UP.
A new thermostat is in order too as well as the water pump if you have not already done so.
You can replace one injector but it can cause issues as it will work better than the rest maybe causing a slight roughness noticeable at idle.
Hope this helps.
Best to ya
Robyn

Robyn,

Thanks for the info that adds another thing to my list of things when I do mine. Do you have a picture of the guide buttons.

http://72.22.76.69/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=23140

Carey

Robyn
06-02-2006, 19:01
I dont have a pix but they look like the little goodies that hold the door panels on. Yup they are a little button slightly smaller than a quarter with a barbed stud on it, The little sucker just drivers into the rocker shaft in the center of each rocker. The old ones come out easily by using a screw driver under the head and a quick pry will break the old one and send the head flying. (YES THEY ARE PLASTIC)
Hope this helps